mbox series

[v3,0/7] Base support for POWER10

Message ID 20200521014341.29095-1-alistair@popple.id.au
Headers show
Series Base support for POWER10 | expand

Message

Alistair Popple May 21, 2020, 1:43 a.m. UTC
This series brings together several previously posted patches required for
POWER10 support and introduces a new patch enabling POWER10 architected
mode to enable booting as a POWER10 pseries guest.

It includes support for enabling facilities related to MMA and prefix
instructions.

Changes from v2:
  - s/accumulate/assist/
  - Updated commit messages

Changes from v1:
  - Two bug-fixes to enable prefix and MMA on pseries
  - Minor updates to commit message wording
  - Fixes a build error when CONFIG_KVM_BOOK3S_64_HV is enabled

Alistair Popple (7):
  powerpc: Add new HWCAP bits
  powerpc: Add support for ISA v3.1
  powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Advertise support for ISA v3.1 if selected
  powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Set current thread fscr bits
  powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Enable Prefixed Instructions
  powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Add MMA feature
  powerpc: Add POWER10 architected mode

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/cputable.h      | 16 +++++++++++--
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/mmu.h           |  1 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/prom.h          |  1 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/reg.h           |  6 +++--
 arch/powerpc/include/uapi/asm/cputable.h |  2 ++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/cpu_setup_power.S    | 20 ++++++++++++++--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/cputable.c           | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/dt_cpu_ftrs.c        | 26 +++++++++++++++++++-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/prom_init.c          | 12 ++++++++--
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv.c             |  3 ---
 10 files changed, 105 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

Comments

Michael Ellerman June 9, 2020, 5:28 a.m. UTC | #1
On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:43:34 +1000, Alistair Popple wrote:
> This series brings together several previously posted patches required for
> POWER10 support and introduces a new patch enabling POWER10 architected
> mode to enable booting as a POWER10 pseries guest.
> 
> It includes support for enabling facilities related to MMA and prefix
> instructions.
> 
> [...]

Patches 1-3 and 5-7 applied to powerpc/next.

[1/7] powerpc: Add new HWCAP bits
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/ee988c11acf6f9464b7b44e9a091bf6afb3b3a49
[2/7] powerpc: Add support for ISA v3.1
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/3fd5836ee801ab9ac5b314c26550e209bafa5eaa
[3/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Advertise support for ISA v3.1 if selected
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/43d0d37acbe40a9a93d9891ca670638cd22116b1
[5/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Enable Prefixed Instructions
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/c63d688c3dabca973c5a7da73d17422ad13f3737
[6/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Add MMA feature
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/87939d50e5888bd78478d9aa9455f56b919df658
[7/7] powerpc: Add POWER10 architected mode
      https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/a3ea40d5c7365e7e5c7c85b6f30b15142b397571

cheers
Murilo Opsfelder Araújo June 9, 2020, 4:51 p.m. UTC | #2
On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 03:28:31PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:43:34 +1000, Alistair Popple wrote:
> > This series brings together several previously posted patches required for
> > POWER10 support and introduces a new patch enabling POWER10 architected
> > mode to enable booting as a POWER10 pseries guest.
> >
> > It includes support for enabling facilities related to MMA and prefix
> > instructions.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Patches 1-3 and 5-7 applied to powerpc/next.
>
> [1/7] powerpc: Add new HWCAP bits
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/ee988c11acf6f9464b7b44e9a091bf6afb3b3a49
> [2/7] powerpc: Add support for ISA v3.1
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/3fd5836ee801ab9ac5b314c26550e209bafa5eaa
> [3/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Advertise support for ISA v3.1 if selected
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/43d0d37acbe40a9a93d9891ca670638cd22116b1

Just out of curiosity, why do we define ISA_V3_0B and ISA_V3_1 macros
and don't use them anywhere else in the code?

Can't they be used in cpufeatures_setup_start() instead of 3000 and
3100 literals?

> [5/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Enable Prefixed Instructions
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/c63d688c3dabca973c5a7da73d17422ad13f3737
> [6/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Add MMA feature
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/87939d50e5888bd78478d9aa9455f56b919df658
> [7/7] powerpc: Add POWER10 architected mode
>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/a3ea40d5c7365e7e5c7c85b6f30b15142b397571
>
> cheers

--
Murilo
Michael Ellerman June 10, 2020, 5:30 a.m. UTC | #3
Murilo Opsfelder Araújo <mopsfelder@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 03:28:31PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:43:34 +1000, Alistair Popple wrote:
>> > This series brings together several previously posted patches required for
>> > POWER10 support and introduces a new patch enabling POWER10 architected
>> > mode to enable booting as a POWER10 pseries guest.
>> >
>> > It includes support for enabling facilities related to MMA and prefix
>> > instructions.
>> >
>> > [...]
>>
>> Patches 1-3 and 5-7 applied to powerpc/next.
>>
>> [1/7] powerpc: Add new HWCAP bits
>>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/ee988c11acf6f9464b7b44e9a091bf6afb3b3a49
>> [2/7] powerpc: Add support for ISA v3.1
>>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/3fd5836ee801ab9ac5b314c26550e209bafa5eaa
>> [3/7] powerpc/dt_cpu_ftrs: Advertise support for ISA v3.1 if selected
>>       https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/43d0d37acbe40a9a93d9891ca670638cd22116b1
>
> Just out of curiosity, why do we define ISA_V3_0B and ISA_V3_1 macros
> and don't use them anywhere else in the code?

Because we're sloppy :/

> Can't they be used in cpufeatures_setup_start() instead of 3000 and
> 3100 literals?

Yes please.

cheers