[GIT,PULL] TI DaVinci SoC updates for v4.16 (part 2)

Message ID 20180110112505.13633-1-nsekhar@ti.com
State New
Headers show
Series
  • [GIT,PULL] TI DaVinci SoC updates for v4.16 (part 2)
Related show

Pull-request

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2

Message

Sekhar Nori Jan. 10, 2018, 11:25 a.m.
The following changes since commit 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:

  ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2

for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:

  ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)

----------------------------------------------------------------
A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart functionality.
The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
davinci_wdt: add restart function"

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Lechner (1):
      ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset

 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-da830-evm.c     |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-da850-evm.c     |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-dm355-evm.c     |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-dm355-leopard.c |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-dm365-evm.c     |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-dm644x-evm.c    |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-dm646x-evm.c    |  2 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-mityomapl138.c  |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-neuros-osd2.c   |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-omapl138-hawk.c |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-sffsdr.c        |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/clock.h               |  3 --
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/da8xx-dt.c            |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/devices-da8xx.c       | 13 -------
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/devices.c             |  7 +---
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/include/mach/common.h |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/include/mach/da8xx.h  |  1 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/time.c                | 57 -----------------------------
 18 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 94 deletions(-)

Comments

Olof Johansson Jan. 12, 2018, 1:36 a.m. | #1
On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
> The following changes since commit 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
> 
>   ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
> 
> are available in the git repository at:
> 
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
> 
> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
> 
>   ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart functionality.
> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
> davinci_wdt: add restart function"

Hi,

So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens? Might
be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?


-Olof
David Lechner Jan. 12, 2018, 2:36 a.m. | #2
On 01/11/2018 07:36 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>> The following changes since commit 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
>>
>>    ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
>>
>>    ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart functionality.
>> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
>> davinci_wdt: add restart function"
> 
> Hi,
> 
> So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens?

Then reboot hangs.

> Might
> be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?
> 

I'll let Sekhar answer this one.
Sekhar Nori Jan. 12, 2018, 5:47 a.m. | #3
Hi Olof,

On Friday 12 January 2018 08:06 AM, David Lechner wrote:
> On 01/11/2018 07:36 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>>> The following changes since commit
>>> 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
>>>
>>>    ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>   
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git
>>> tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
>>>
>>> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
>>>
>>>    ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart
>>> functionality.
>>> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
>>> davinci_wdt: add restart function"
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens?
> 
> Then reboot hangs.

Yes. I did request[1] an immutable branch with just the driver change
applied, but looks like the message was lost and the current driver
change is applied over many other watchdog changes.

> 
>> Might
>> be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?

The main reason I sent it out anyway is because this cleanup is a
dependency to move to common clock framework and I want to reduce those
to a minimum to have a good chance of migrating to it in v4.17.

If the watchdog driver change never makes it (very low chance), then I
can resend a revert for -rc2. If ARM-SoC is merged before watchdog, yes,
during a short while in merge window reboot will be broken. But I
figured its a risk worth taking to have a chance of getting this into v4.16.

If you have a "send these late" branch, it will be nice to put it in
there. If this is too much uncertainty, then okay, lets hold for v4.17.

Thanks,
Sekhar

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-watchdog/msg12965.html
Olof Johansson Jan. 12, 2018, 6:14 p.m. | #4
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:47 PM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@ti.com> wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> On Friday 12 January 2018 08:06 AM, David Lechner wrote:
>> On 01/11/2018 07:36 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>>>> The following changes since commit
>>>> 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
>>>>
>>>>    ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
>>>>
>>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git
>>>> tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
>>>>
>>>> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
>>>>
>>>>    ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
>>>>
>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart
>>>> functionality.
>>>> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
>>>> davinci_wdt: add restart function"
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens?
>>
>> Then reboot hangs.
>
> Yes. I did request[1] an immutable branch with just the driver change
> applied, but looks like the message was lost and the current driver
> change is applied over many other watchdog changes.
>
>>
>>> Might
>>> be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?
>
> The main reason I sent it out anyway is because this cleanup is a
> dependency to move to common clock framework and I want to reduce those
> to a minimum to have a good chance of migrating to it in v4.17.
>
> If the watchdog driver change never makes it (very low chance), then I
> can resend a revert for -rc2. If ARM-SoC is merged before watchdog, yes,
> during a short while in merge window reboot will be broken. But I
> figured its a risk worth taking to have a chance of getting this into v4.16.
>
> If you have a "send these late" branch, it will be nice to put it in
> there. If this is too much uncertainty, then okay, lets hold for v4.17.

Keep in mind that while the tree might regress for a period of time,
what's really awkward is that bisection will be hard across this,
since for some states of the tree you will have the platform-side
change but not the watchdog change. That's really one of the main
reasons for having a stable branch that can be used as a base -- you
can then not hit that case.

One option is to make a base branch that contains this code that's
used for the base of the CCF work that is based on 4.16-rc1 once it is
out. What trees to do you expect to have CCF code going through? Clock
and arm-soc, any others? If it's just those two we can deal with that,
if it's more trees than that it might get complicated still.


-Olof
Sekhar Nori Jan. 16, 2018, 7:40 a.m. | #5
On Friday 12 January 2018 11:44 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:47 PM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@ti.com> wrote:
>> Hi Olof,
>>
>> On Friday 12 January 2018 08:06 AM, David Lechner wrote:
>>> On 01/11/2018 07:36 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>>>>> The following changes since commit
>>>>> 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
>>>>>
>>>>>    ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
>>>>>
>>>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git
>>>>> tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
>>>>>
>>>>> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
>>>>>
>>>>>    ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
>>>>>
>>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart
>>>>> functionality.
>>>>> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
>>>>> davinci_wdt: add restart function"
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens?
>>>
>>> Then reboot hangs.
>>
>> Yes. I did request[1] an immutable branch with just the driver change
>> applied, but looks like the message was lost and the current driver
>> change is applied over many other watchdog changes.
>>
>>>
>>>> Might
>>>> be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?
>>
>> The main reason I sent it out anyway is because this cleanup is a
>> dependency to move to common clock framework and I want to reduce those
>> to a minimum to have a good chance of migrating to it in v4.17.
>>
>> If the watchdog driver change never makes it (very low chance), then I
>> can resend a revert for -rc2. If ARM-SoC is merged before watchdog, yes,
>> during a short while in merge window reboot will be broken. But I
>> figured its a risk worth taking to have a chance of getting this into v4.16.
>>
>> If you have a "send these late" branch, it will be nice to put it in
>> there. If this is too much uncertainty, then okay, lets hold for v4.17.
> 
> Keep in mind that while the tree might regress for a period of time,
> what's really awkward is that bisection will be hard across this,
> since for some states of the tree you will have the platform-side
> change but not the watchdog change. That's really one of the main
> reasons for having a stable branch that can be used as a base -- you
> can then not hit that case.
> 
> One option is to make a base branch that contains this code that's
> used for the base of the CCF work that is based on 4.16-rc1 once it is
> out. What trees to do you expect to have CCF code going through? Clock
> and arm-soc, any others? If it's just those two we can deal with that,
> if it's more trees than that it might get complicated still.

I think it will just be clock and ARM-SoC trees. So, will take you
advise and postpone this to v4.17 then.

Thanks,
Sekhar