[GIT,PULL] Allwinner fixes for 4.13, take 3

Message ID 20170828092651.xwrz6toedrmht5nh@flea.lan
State New
Headers show
Series
  • [GIT,PULL] Allwinner fixes for 4.13, take 3
Related show

Pull-request

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3

Message

Maxime Ripard Aug. 28, 2017, 9:26 a.m.
Hi,

Here is a bunch of patches essentially reverting the EMAC bindings
additions. Indeed, it was discovered after the release of 4.13-rc1
that we overlooked some issues while reviewing the driver, and we
couldn't find a proper solution since then.

Since the binding is as such not stable yet, we can't allow it to
reach a stable release.

Maxime

The following changes since commit d86e63e1f0b7868c55c8d4a54854b85e2bac690b:

  arm64: allwinner: h5: fix pinctrl IRQs (2017-08-14 14:18:21 +0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3

for you to fetch changes up to fe45174b72aead678da581bab9e9a37c9b26a070:

  arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes (2017-08-28 11:11:24 +0200)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Allwinner fixes for 4.13, take 3

This is a revert of the EMAC bindings. The discussion has not settled down
yet on a proper representation of the PHY, and therefore we cannot commit
to a binding yet

----------------------------------------------------------------
Maxime Ripard (3):
      dt-bindings: net: Revert sun8i dwmac binding
      arm64: dts: allwinner: Revert EMAC changes
      arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes

 .../devicetree/bindings/net/dwmac-sun8i.txt        | 84 ----------------------
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h2-plus-orangepi-zero.dts  |  9 ---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-bananapi-m2-plus.dts    | 19 -----
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-nanopi-neo.dts          |  7 --
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-2.dts          |  8 ---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-one.dts        |  8 ---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc-plus.dts    |  5 --
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dts         |  8 ---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-plus.dts       | 22 ------
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-h3-orangepi-plus2e.dts     | 16 -----
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sunxi-h3-h5.dtsi                 | 26 -------
 .../boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-bananapi-m64.dts | 16 -----
 .../boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pine64-plus.dts  | 15 ----
 .../arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pine64.dts | 17 -----
 .../dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-sopine-baseboard.dts  | 16 -----
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64.dtsi      | 20 ------
 .../boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dts   | 17 -----
 .../boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h5-orangepi-pc2.dts  | 17 -----
 .../dts/allwinner/sun50i-h5-orangepi-prime.dts     | 17 -----
 19 files changed, 347 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/dwmac-sun8i.txt

Comments

Olof Johansson Aug. 30, 2017, 5:37 a.m. | #1
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26:51AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Here is a bunch of patches essentially reverting the EMAC bindings
> additions. Indeed, it was discovered after the release of 4.13-rc1
> that we overlooked some issues while reviewing the driver, and we
> couldn't find a proper solution since then.
> 
> Since the binding is as such not stable yet, we can't allow it to
> reach a stable release.
> 
> Maxime
> 
> The following changes since commit d86e63e1f0b7868c55c8d4a54854b85e2bac690b:
> 
>   arm64: allwinner: h5: fix pinctrl IRQs (2017-08-14 14:18:21 +0800)
> 
> are available in the git repository at:
> 
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3
> 
> for you to fetch changes up to fe45174b72aead678da581bab9e9a37c9b26a070:
> 
>   arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes (2017-08-28 11:11:24 +0200)

Merged but unfortunately this introduces quite annoying conflicts with already
queued up DT contents. Fixed up those as well.


-Olof
Maxime Ripard Aug. 30, 2017, 6:43 a.m. | #2
Hi Olof,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:37:59PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26:51AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Here is a bunch of patches essentially reverting the EMAC bindings
> > additions. Indeed, it was discovered after the release of 4.13-rc1
> > that we overlooked some issues while reviewing the driver, and we
> > couldn't find a proper solution since then.
> > 
> > Since the binding is as such not stable yet, we can't allow it to
> > reach a stable release.
> > 
> > Maxime
> > 
> > The following changes since commit d86e63e1f0b7868c55c8d4a54854b85e2bac690b:
> > 
> >   arm64: allwinner: h5: fix pinctrl IRQs (2017-08-14 14:18:21 +0800)
> > 
> > are available in the git repository at:
> > 
> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3
> > 
> > for you to fetch changes up to fe45174b72aead678da581bab9e9a37c9b26a070:
> > 
> >   arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes (2017-08-28 11:11:24 +0200)
> 
> Merged but unfortunately this introduces quite annoying conflicts with already
> queued up DT contents. Fixed up those as well.

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentionned it. I didn't know what the best
strategy was in this case, since it was conflicting with some branches
you already had pulled. What would you have prefered ?

Thanks!
Maxime
Olof Johansson Aug. 30, 2017, 10:15 p.m. | #3
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Maxime Ripard
<maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:37:59PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26:51AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Here is a bunch of patches essentially reverting the EMAC bindings
>> > additions. Indeed, it was discovered after the release of 4.13-rc1
>> > that we overlooked some issues while reviewing the driver, and we
>> > couldn't find a proper solution since then.
>> >
>> > Since the binding is as such not stable yet, we can't allow it to
>> > reach a stable release.
>> >
>> > Maxime
>> >
>> > The following changes since commit d86e63e1f0b7868c55c8d4a54854b85e2bac690b:
>> >
>> >   arm64: allwinner: h5: fix pinctrl IRQs (2017-08-14 14:18:21 +0800)
>> >
>> > are available in the git repository at:
>> >
>> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3
>> >
>> > for you to fetch changes up to fe45174b72aead678da581bab9e9a37c9b26a070:
>> >
>> >   arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes (2017-08-28 11:11:24 +0200)
>>
>> Merged but unfortunately this introduces quite annoying conflicts with already
>> queued up DT contents. Fixed up those as well.
>
> Yeah, sorry, I should have mentionned it. I didn't know what the best
> strategy was in this case, since it was conflicting with some branches
> you already had pulled. What would you have prefered ?

Just mentioning it would be appreciated to avoid surprises.

The other part would be to make sure the fixes branch is based on an
old enough release that we can just merge it into next/dt64 without
bringing in a much newer upstream base. You've done that in this case,
so what I'll do at our end is merge the fixes into next/dt64 to avoid
this from bubbling up to Linus when it's a local issue to our tree.


Thanks!

-Olof
Maxime Ripard Aug. 31, 2017, 2:54 p.m. | #4
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 03:15:05PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > Hi Olof,
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:37:59PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> >> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26:51AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > Here is a bunch of patches essentially reverting the EMAC bindings
> >> > additions. Indeed, it was discovered after the release of 4.13-rc1
> >> > that we overlooked some issues while reviewing the driver, and we
> >> > couldn't find a proper solution since then.
> >> >
> >> > Since the binding is as such not stable yet, we can't allow it to
> >> > reach a stable release.
> >> >
> >> > Maxime
> >> >
> >> > The following changes since commit d86e63e1f0b7868c55c8d4a54854b85e2bac690b:
> >> >
> >> >   arm64: allwinner: h5: fix pinctrl IRQs (2017-08-14 14:18:21 +0800)
> >> >
> >> > are available in the git repository at:
> >> >
> >> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sunxi/linux.git tags/sunxi-fixes-for-4.13-3
> >> >
> >> > for you to fetch changes up to fe45174b72aead678da581bab9e9a37c9b26a070:
> >> >
> >> >   arm: dts: sunxi: Revert EMAC changes (2017-08-28 11:11:24 +0200)
> >>
> >> Merged but unfortunately this introduces quite annoying conflicts with already
> >> queued up DT contents. Fixed up those as well.
> >
> > Yeah, sorry, I should have mentionned it. I didn't know what the best
> > strategy was in this case, since it was conflicting with some branches
> > you already had pulled. What would you have prefered ?
> 
> Just mentioning it would be appreciated to avoid surprises.
> 
> The other part would be to make sure the fixes branch is based on an
> old enough release that we can just merge it into next/dt64 without
> bringing in a much newer upstream base. You've done that in this case,
> so what I'll do at our end is merge the fixes into next/dt64 to avoid
> this from bubbling up to Linus when it's a local issue to our tree.

Ok, thanks, and sorry for that.

Maxime