@@ -43,9 +43,7 @@ need the following software:
- GCC 4.6 or later.
- - Clang. Clang 3.4 and later provide useful static semantic analysis and
- thread-safety checks. For Ubuntu, there are nightly built packages
- available on clang's website.
+ - Clang 3.4 or later.
- MSVC 2013. Refer to :doc:`windows` for additional Windows build
@@ -164,12 +162,14 @@ Installation Requirements
The machine you build Open vSwitch on may not be the one you run it on. To
simply install and run Open vSwitch you require the following software:
-- libc compatible with the libc used for build.
+- Shared libraries compatible with those used for the build.
-- libssl compatible with the libssl used for build, if OpenSSL was used
- for the build.
-- On Linux, the same kernel version configured as part of the build.
+- On Linux, if you want to use the kernel-based datapath (which is the most
+ common use case), then a kernel with a compatible kernel module. This
+ can be a kernel module built with Open vSwitch (e.g. in the previous
+ step), or the kernel module that accompanies Linux 3.3 and later. Open
+ vSwitch features and performance can vary based on the module and the
+ kernel. Refer to :doc:`/internals/releases` for more information.
- For optional support of ingress policing on Linux, the "tc" program
from iproute2 (part of all major distributions and available at