Patchwork [GIT,PULL] uprobes: Add uprobes support for ARM

login
register
mail settings
Submitter David A. Long
Date March 11, 2014, 6:36 p.m.
Message ID <531F5799.2070302@linaro.org>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/329197/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.linaro.org/people/dave.long/linux.git uprobes-v7

Comments

David A. Long - March 11, 2014, 6:36 p.m.
The following changes since commit 2d100bc71fcada9e8252fbee3e414add292d118c:

  Merge tag 'v3.14-rc5' of https://github.com/torvalds/linux (2014-03-02 23:04:25 -0500)

are available in the git repository at:


  git://git.linaro.org/people/dave.long/linux.git uprobes-v7

for you to fetch changes up to e55c35236b8adf79453a998506ec6081833b9484:

  ARM: add uprobes support (2014-03-11 11:40:29 -0400)

----------------------------------------------------------------
David A. Long (15):
      uprobes: Kconfig dependency fix
      ARM: Fix missing includes in kprobes sources
      uprobes: allow ignoring of probe hits
      ARM: move shared uprobe/kprobe definitions into new include file
      ARM: Move generic arm instruction parsing code to new files for sharing between features
      ARM: move generic thumb instruction parsing code to new files for use by other feature
      ARM: use a function table for determining instruction interpreter action
      ARM: Remove use of struct kprobe from generic probes code
      ARM: Make the kprobes condition_check symbol names more generic
      ARM: Change more ARM kprobes symbol names to something more generic
      ARM: Rename the shared kprobes/uprobe return value enum
      ARM: Change the remaining shared kprobes/uprobes symbols to something generic
      ARM: Add an emulate flag to the kprobes/uprobes instruction decode functions
      ARM: Make arch_specific_insn a define for new arch_probes_insn structure
      ARM: add uprobes support

 arch/Kconfig                       |    6 +-
 arch/arm/Kconfig                   |    3 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/kprobes.h     |   17 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/probes.h      |   43 ++
 arch/arm/include/asm/ptrace.h      |    6 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/thread_info.h |    5 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/uprobes.h     |   45 ++
 arch/arm/kernel/Makefile           |    7 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes-arm.c      |  806 +++----------------------
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes-common.c   |  469 +--------------
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes-test-arm.c |    1 +
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes-test.c     |   12 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes-thumb.c    | 1145 ++++++------------------------------
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.c          |   25 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.h          |  400 +------------
 arch/arm/kernel/probes-arm.c       |  734 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/arm/kernel/probes-arm.h       |   73 +++
 arch/arm/kernel/probes-thumb.c     |  882 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/arm/kernel/probes-thumb.h     |   97 +++
 arch/arm/kernel/probes.c           |  455 ++++++++++++++
 arch/arm/kernel/probes.h           |  407 +++++++++++++
 arch/arm/kernel/signal.c           |    4 +
 arch/arm/kernel/uprobes-arm.c      |  234 ++++++++
 arch/arm/kernel/uprobes.c          |  210 +++++++
Russell King - ARM Linux - March 17, 2014, 11:52 p.m.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 02:36:09PM -0400, David Long wrote:
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/dave.long/linux.git uprobes-v7
> 
> for you to fetch changes up to e55c35236b8adf79453a998506ec6081833b9484:
> 
>   ARM: add uprobes support (2014-03-11 11:40:29 -0400)

I pulled this a week ago into my devel-testing (which is unpublished),
and while it hasn't shown any signs of functional problems, I was just
about to merge it into devel-stable when I noticed the history.

This is based upon:

Merge branch 'for-next' of git://git.samba.org/sfrench/cifs-2.6
+ Linux 3.11
+ Merge branch 'perf-urgent-for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip
+ Linux 3.12-rc5
+ Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net
+ Linux 3.13-rc3
+ Linux 3.13-rc4
+ Linux 3.13-rc8
+ Linux 3.14-rc2
+ Linux 3.14-rc4
+ Linux 3.14-rc5
|
[your uprobes patches]

where each + is a merge of the named commit into the previous.  This is
the kind of thing which will make Linus quite unhappy: please base
patches off a plain -rc release, not off a merge commit.

I'm sure there's others on the mailing list who can guide you on this
point, but I do need to ask you to re-spin without those merges.  I'm
happy to take a respin of it provided it's based on 3.14-rc5 (so I can
more easily confirm that there aren't any changes which I haven't
already tested.)

Thanks, and sorry about the lateness of this email.
David A. Long - March 18, 2014, 10:15 p.m.
On 03/17/14 19:52, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 02:36:09PM -0400, David Long wrote:
>>    git://git.linaro.org/people/dave.long/linux.git uprobes-v7
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to e55c35236b8adf79453a998506ec6081833b9484:
>>
>>    ARM: add uprobes support (2014-03-11 11:40:29 -0400)
>
> I pulled this a week ago into my devel-testing (which is unpublished),
> and while it hasn't shown any signs of functional problems, I was just
> about to merge it into devel-stable when I noticed the history.
>
> This is based upon:
>
> Merge branch 'for-next' of git://git.samba.org/sfrench/cifs-2.6
> + Linux 3.11
> + Merge branch 'perf-urgent-for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip
> + Linux 3.12-rc5
> + Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net
> + Linux 3.13-rc3
> + Linux 3.13-rc4
> + Linux 3.13-rc8
> + Linux 3.14-rc2
> + Linux 3.14-rc4
> + Linux 3.14-rc5
> |
> [your uprobes patches]
>
> where each + is a merge of the named commit into the previous.  This is
> the kind of thing which will make Linus quite unhappy: please base
> patches off a plain -rc release, not off a merge commit.
>
> I'm sure there's others on the mailing list who can guide you on this
> point, but I do need to ask you to re-spin without those merges.  I'm
> happy to take a respin of it provided it's based on 3.14-rc5 (so I can
> more easily confirm that there aren't any changes which I haven't
> already tested.)

OK, I consulted with a couple coworkers and the fix for this was 
particularly easy.  The respun branch is in place now.  Same repo, same 
branch name, based on v3.14-rc5.  Sorry for the newbie mistake.

I'm assuming a new git-pull request is not required (until I hear 
otherwise).

> Thanks, and sorry about the lateness of this email.
>

I'm just back Monday night from a few days vacation, so your timing was 
perfect for me.

-dl
Russell King - ARM Linux - March 19, 2014, 8:16 p.m.
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 06:15:33PM -0400, David Long wrote:
> OK, I consulted with a couple coworkers and the fix for this was  
> particularly easy.  The respun branch is in place now.  Same repo, same  
> branch name, based on v3.14-rc5.  Sorry for the newbie mistake.
>
> I'm assuming a new git-pull request is not required (until I hear  
> otherwise).

That's fine, I've re-pulled it and it all looks perfect now.  Thanks
for the quick response.