Patchwork [GIT,PULL,v2] SOCFPGA updates for 3.15, version 2

login
register
mail settings
Submitter dinguyen@altera.com
Date March 10, 2014, 4:55 a.m.
Message ID <1394427333-9028-1-git-send-email-dinguyen@altera.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/328457/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.rocketboards.org/linux-socfpga-next.git tags/socfpga_updates_for_3.15_v2

Comments

dinguyen@altera.com - March 10, 2014, 4:55 a.m.
Hi Arnd, Kevin and Olof,

Please consider pulling in these patches for v3.15 version 2. I apologize for
the build failure in version 1.

For this version, I also cherry-picked a commit that was also pulled into
Chris Ball's mmc tree.

9b931361ff09 dts: socfpga: Add support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform

Without this patch, I cannot cleanly fix the build error and avoid a merge
conflict.

[a5d6ac2a dts: socfpga: Add sysmgr node so the gmac can use to reference] will
fix the build failure in version 1.

Thanks, 

The following changes since commit 6d0abeca3242a88cab8232e4acd7e2bf088f3bc2:

  Linux 3.14-rc3 (2014-02-16 13:30:25 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.rocketboards.org/linux-socfpga-next.git tags/socfpga_updates_for_3.15_v2

for you to fetch changes up to a5d6ac2a84a393a7142f9cafe15ade9aa94b6b42:

  dts: socfpga: Add sysmgr node so the gmac can use to reference (2014-03-09 23:21:52 -0500)

----------------------------------------------------------------
SOCFPGA updates for 3.15 version 2:
*Update SOCFPGA DTS to include ethernet, sd/mmc, and clock fixes
*Add stmmac ethernet glue layer
*Update socfpga_defconfig to include sd/mmc, and micrel_phy

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dinh Nguyen (6):
      net: stmmac: Add SOCFPGA glue driver
      dts: socfpga: Add DTS entry for adding the stmmac glue layer for stmmac.
      ARM: socfpga: Update socfpga_defconfig
      dts: socfpga: Update clock entry to support multiple parents
      dts: socfpga: Add support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform
      dts: socfpga: Add sysmgr node so the gmac can use to reference

 .../devicetree/bindings/mmc/socfpga-dw-mshc.txt    |   23 +++
 .../devicetree/bindings/net/socfpga-dwmac.txt      |   35 ++++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga.dtsi                     |   87 +++++++---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_arria5.dtsi              |   11 ++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_arria5_socdk.dts         |   24 +++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi            |   11 ++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_cyclone5_socdk.dts       |   17 ++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_cyclone5_sockit.dts      |   22 ++-
 arch/arm/boot/dts/socfpga_vt.dts                   |   19 ++
 arch/arm/configs/socfpga_defconfig                 |    6 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/Makefile       |    1 +
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-socfpga.c    |  183 ++++++++++++++++++++
 12 files changed, 413 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/socfpga-dw-mshc.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/socfpga-dwmac.txt
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-socfpga.c
Arnd Bergmann - March 17, 2014, 9:38 a.m.
On Monday 10 March 2014, dinguyen@altera.com wrote:
> Hi Arnd, Kevin and Olof,
> 
> Please consider pulling in these patches for v3.15 version 2. I apologize for
> the build failure in version 1.

Pulled again into next/drivers, but I'm not too happy about the
resolution:

> For this version, I also cherry-picked a commit that was also pulled into
> Chris Ball's mmc tree.
> 
> 9b931361ff09 dts: socfpga: Add support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform
> 
> Without this patch, I cannot cleanly fix the build error and avoid a merge
> conflict.

That patch should not have been merged through the MMC tree in the first
place, precisely because of this type of conflict. Further, it should not
have tried to fix up the coding style by changing the indentation of an
unrelated DT node.

> [a5d6ac2a dts: socfpga: Add sysmgr node so the gmac can use to reference] will
> fix the build failure in version 1.

And this one should not have been applied on top, but rather folded
into patch that originally broke the build, to ensure clean bisection.

Unfortunately, we're running out of time to do this properly, and going
forward with your branch seems like the best strategy. I realize you
originally sent your branch a couple of weeks ago, so we should have
caught this earlier.


Chris, it would be nice if you could revert d9c3f5df539a "dts: socfpga: Add
support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform" in your mmc tree now. The
commit is now also present in arm-soc where it belongs, and we will get
a merge conflict if we both carry it, due to the screwup on the
sysmgr node.

	Arnd
Chris Ball - March 17, 2014, 1:07 p.m.
Hi Arnd,

On Mon, Mar 17 2014, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Chris, it would be nice if you could revert d9c3f5df539a "dts: socfpga: Add
> support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform" in your mmc tree now. The
> commit is now also present in arm-soc where it belongs, and we will get
> a merge conflict if we both carry it, due to the screwup on the
> sysmgr node.

I see, sorry about this.  I've pushed the revert to mmc-next now.

- Chris.
Arnd Bergmann - March 17, 2014, 1:31 p.m.
On Monday 17 March 2014, Chris Ball wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17 2014, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Chris, it would be nice if you could revert d9c3f5df539a "dts: socfpga: Add
> > support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform" in your mmc tree now. The
> > commit is now also present in arm-soc where it belongs, and we will get
> > a merge conflict if we both carry it, due to the screwup on the
> > sysmgr node.
> 
> I see, sorry about this.  I've pushed the revert to mmc-next now.
> 

Ok, thanks!

	Arnd
dinguyen@altera.com - March 17, 2014, 3:59 p.m.
On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 14:31 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2014, Chris Ball wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17 2014, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > Chris, it would be nice if you could revert d9c3f5df539a "dts: socfpga: Add
> > > support for SD/MMC on the SOCFPGA platform" in your mmc tree now. The
> > > commit is now also present in arm-soc where it belongs, and we will get
> > > a merge conflict if we both carry it, due to the screwup on the
> > > sysmgr node.
> > 
> > I see, sorry about this.  I've pushed the revert to mmc-next now.
> > 
> 
> Ok, thanks!
> 

I apologize for causing the conflict, promise to be more aware this
these issues in the future.

Dinh
> 	Arnd