Patchwork [GIT,PULL,1/5] ARM: imx: weim bus driver update for 3.12

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Shawn Guo
Date Aug. 18, 2013, 1:48 p.m.
Message ID <1376833688-24542-1-git-send-email-shawn.guo@linaro.org>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/268037/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-weim-3.12

Comments

Shawn Guo - Aug. 18, 2013, 1:48 p.m.
The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:

  Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-weim-3.12

for you to fetch changes up to 3f98b6baad63b181da4e859d81953e88ce8a50ec:

  drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53 (2013-08-16 12:59:44 +0800)

----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a patch series that updates imx-weim bus driver to have it
support more i.MX SoCs.  Because there is no maintainer for
drivers/bus so far, I'm forwarding it through IMX tree for 3.12 merge
window.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Alexander Shiyan (5):
      drivers: bus: imx-weim: Remove private driver data
      drivers: bus: imx-weim: Simplify error path
      drivers: bus: imx-weim: use module_platform_driver_probe()
      drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add missing platform_driver.owner field
      drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53

 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/imx-weim.txt |   17 ++-
 drivers/bus/Kconfig                                |    3 +-
 drivers/bus/imx-weim.c                             |  129 +++++++++++---------
 3 files changed, 87 insertions(+), 62 deletions(-)
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 22, 2013, 12:59 p.m.
Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:

> The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>
>   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-weim-3.12
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 3f98b6baad63b181da4e859d81953e88ce8a50ec:
>
>   drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53 (2013-08-16 12:59:44 +0800)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> This is a patch series that updates imx-weim bus driver to have it
> support more i.MX SoCs.  Because there is no maintainer for
> drivers/bus so far, I'm forwarding it through IMX tree for 3.12 merge
> window.
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Alexander Shiyan (5):
>       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Remove private driver data
>       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Simplify error path
>       drivers: bus: imx-weim: use module_platform_driver_probe()
>       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add missing platform_driver.owner field
>       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53
>
>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/imx-weim.txt |   17 ++-
>  drivers/bus/Kconfig                                |    3 +-
>  drivers/bus/imx-weim.c                             |  129 +++++++++++---------
>  3 files changed, 87 insertions(+), 62 deletions(-)

The bindings changes in the last patch need a a review and ack from the
devicetree maintainers.

Can you please repost that patch with devicetree@vger.kernel.org Cc'd?

Without a review/ack from the DT maintainers, we won't be pulling any
bindings changes.

Also, the binding is changed but there are no corresponding .dts file
changes.  Was that an oversight, or doess that mean there are no current
users of this binding.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 22, 2013, 1:54 p.m.
Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:

> The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>
>   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-soc-3.12
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 0c383e6a56c2e70db9f2a68f9fe095645f11c151:
>
>   phy: micrel: Add definitions for common Micrel PHY registers (2013-08-18 09:30:39 +0800)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> It contains a bunch of imx soc updates for 3.12.
>
> - Add more ethernet phy fixups for imx6 boards
> - Add some missing imx6q clocks into clock driver
> - Add new clock types fixup mux and div to work around some ugly
>   hardware defect
> - Consolidate L2 cache initialization function, so that it can be used
>   on more i.MX SoCs
> - Replace magic numbers in mach-imx6q.c with well defined macros
> - Support low-level debug for vybrid

This patch causes a conflict with Russell's DEBUG_LL cleanup, which is
already in linux-next.

For v3.12, I suggest you drop this patch and rework your new DEBUG_LL
support on top of Russell's cleanup.  Have a look at that and see if you
can reuse the the generic 8250 stuff added by Russell.  While there, you
might look at imx.S as well.

If that's OK with you, can you send an updated pull request without the
DEBUG_LL changes?  The other changes look OK for v3.12.

Kevin
Shawn Guo - Aug. 22, 2013, 2:10 p.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:59:04AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:

<snip>

> >       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53
> >
> >  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/imx-weim.txt |   17 ++-
> >  drivers/bus/Kconfig                                |    3 +-
> >  drivers/bus/imx-weim.c                             |  129 +++++++++++---------
> >  3 files changed, 87 insertions(+), 62 deletions(-)
> 
> The bindings changes in the last patch need a a review and ack from the
> devicetree maintainers.
> 
> Can you please repost that patch with devicetree@vger.kernel.org Cc'd?
> 
Okay, will do.

> Without a review/ack from the DT maintainers, we won't be pulling any
> bindings changes.
> 
> Also, the binding is changed but there are no corresponding .dts file
> changes.  Was that an oversight, or doess that mean there are no current
> users of this binding.

The binding changes does not break the existing users, and new users are
added through imx/dt branch.

Shawn
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 22, 2013, 2:21 p.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:59:04AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> >       drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53
>> >
>> >  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/imx-weim.txt |   17 ++-
>> >  drivers/bus/Kconfig                                |    3 +-
>> >  drivers/bus/imx-weim.c                             |  129 +++++++++++---------
>> >  3 files changed, 87 insertions(+), 62 deletions(-)
>>
>> The bindings changes in the last patch need a a review and ack from the
>> devicetree maintainers.
>>
>> Can you please repost that patch with devicetree@vger.kernel.org Cc'd?
>>
> Okay, will do.

Looking closer at this, seems this change is a trivial binding update
that just generalizes the binding to more SoCs.  I'm OK with taking
that change.  But in the future, please make sure binding changes are
posted to the DT list.

>> Without a review/ack from the DT maintainers, we won't be pulling any
>> bindings changes.
>>
>> Also, the binding is changed but there are no corresponding .dts file
>> changes.  Was that an oversight, or doess that mean there are no current
>> users of this binding.
>
> The binding changes does not break the existing users, and new users are
> added through imx/dt branch.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Kevin
Shawn Guo - Aug. 22, 2013, 2:42 p.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:54:35AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:
> 
> > The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
> >
> >   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-soc-3.12
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 0c383e6a56c2e70db9f2a68f9fe095645f11c151:
> >
> >   phy: micrel: Add definitions for common Micrel PHY registers (2013-08-18 09:30:39 +0800)
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > It contains a bunch of imx soc updates for 3.12.
> >
> > - Add more ethernet phy fixups for imx6 boards
> > - Add some missing imx6q clocks into clock driver
> > - Add new clock types fixup mux and div to work around some ugly
> >   hardware defect
> > - Consolidate L2 cache initialization function, so that it can be used
> >   on more i.MX SoCs
> > - Replace magic numbers in mach-imx6q.c with well defined macros
> > - Support low-level debug for vybrid
> 
> This patch causes a conflict with Russell's DEBUG_LL cleanup, which is
> already in linux-next.

The vybrid patch is already in linux-next as well.  And conflict was
reported and solved by Stephen one month ago [1].

>From the past experience, such trivial conflict with other tree is
allowed by arm-soc folks, and they will ask Linus to take care of it
when sending patches upstream.  But ...

> For v3.12, I suggest you drop this patch and rework your new DEBUG_LL
> support on top of Russell's cleanup.

... I'm also fine with your suggestion.

> Have a look at that and see if you
> can reuse the the generic 8250 stuff added by Russell.

Seems not.

> While there, you
> might look at imx.S as well.

I think Russell would have converted it if it can reuse 8250 stuff.

> 
> If that's OK with you, can you send an updated pull request without the
> DEBUG_LL changes?  The other changes look OK for v3.12.

Okay, will send you an updated pull request without DEBUG_LL changes.

Shawn

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/3/22
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 22, 2013, 2:59 p.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:54:35AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>> Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:
>>
>> > The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>> >
>> >   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>> >
>> > are available in the git repository at:
>> >
>> >   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-soc-3.12
>> >
>> > for you to fetch changes up to 0c383e6a56c2e70db9f2a68f9fe095645f11c151:
>> >
>> >   phy: micrel: Add definitions for common Micrel PHY registers (2013-08-18 09:30:39 +0800)
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> > It contains a bunch of imx soc updates for 3.12.
>> >
>> > - Add more ethernet phy fixups for imx6 boards
>> > - Add some missing imx6q clocks into clock driver
>> > - Add new clock types fixup mux and div to work around some ugly
>> >   hardware defect
>> > - Consolidate L2 cache initialization function, so that it can be used
>> >   on more i.MX SoCs
>> > - Replace magic numbers in mach-imx6q.c with well defined macros
>> > - Support low-level debug for vybrid
>>
>> This patch causes a conflict with Russell's DEBUG_LL cleanup, which is
>> already in linux-next.
>
> The vybrid patch is already in linux-next as well.  And conflict was
> reported and solved by Stephen one month ago [1].
>
> From the past experience, such trivial conflict with other tree is
> allowed by arm-soc folks, and they will ask Linus to take care of it
> when sending patches upstream.  But ...

Yes, the conflict is trivial, but having seen several similar ones
this merge window, it's getting kinda old.  Also, I'm not crazy about
having Linus see several merge conflicts to the same area.  He'll see
that arm-soc folks are not properly coordinating things with Russell
and IMO that's something we need to fix in ARM land, not expose it to
Linus.

Also, in the future, if you're already aware of merge conflicts in
-next in a branch you're submitting for a pull request, it would be
*very* helpful to mention that in the pull request.

>> For v3.12, I suggest you drop this patch and rework your new DEBUG_LL
>> support on top of Russell's cleanup.
>
> ... I'm also fine with your suggestion.

Thanks.

>> Have a look at that and see if you
>> can reuse the the generic 8250 stuff added by Russell.
>
> Seems not.
>
>> While there, you
>> might look at imx.S as well.
>
> I think Russell would have converted it if it can reuse 8250 stuff.

OK, thanks for checking.

>>
>> If that's OK with you, can you send an updated pull request without the
>> DEBUG_LL changes?  The other changes look OK for v3.12.
>
> Okay, will send you an updated pull request without DEBUG_LL changes.

Thanks.

> Shawn
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/3/22

Seems this is an unrelated conflict to the one I was seeing in Kconfig.debug

Kevin
Shawn Guo - Aug. 22, 2013, 3:14 p.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 07:59:34AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Yes, the conflict is trivial, but having seen several similar ones
> this merge window, it's getting kinda old.  Also, I'm not crazy about
> having Linus see several merge conflicts to the same area.  He'll see
> that arm-soc folks are not properly coordinating things with Russell
> and IMO that's something we need to fix in ARM land, not expose it to
> Linus.

Understood.

> 
> Also, in the future, if you're already aware of merge conflicts in
> -next in a branch you're submitting for a pull request, it would be
> *very* helpful to mention that in the pull request.

Okay, got it.

<snip>

> > [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/3/22
> 
> Seems this is an unrelated conflict to the one I was seeing in Kconfig.debug

Sorry, gave the wrong link.  It should be:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.next/28290

Shawn
Russell King - ARM Linux - Aug. 23, 2013, 10:11 a.m.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:54:35AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> This patch causes a conflict with Russell's DEBUG_LL cleanup, which is
> already in linux-next.
> 
> For v3.12, I suggest you drop this patch and rework your new DEBUG_LL
> support on top of Russell's cleanup.  Have a look at that and see if you
> can reuse the the generic 8250 stuff added by Russell.  While there, you
> might look at imx.S as well.

I'm not sure why you think imx.S may be able to use the generic 8250
stuff, it doesn't seem to have the same register layout or even the
same bit positions as 8250:

                .macro  senduart,rd,rx
                str     \rd, [\rx, #0x40]       @ TXDATA

                .macro  busyuart,rd,rx
1002:           ldr     \rd, [\rx, #0x98]       @ SR2
                tst     \rd, #1 << 3            @ TXDC
                beq     1002b                   @ wait until transmit done

I did convert everything which I considered convertable at the time.
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 23, 2013, 4:47 p.m.
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:54:35AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>> This patch causes a conflict with Russell's DEBUG_LL cleanup, which is
>> already in linux-next.
>>
>> For v3.12, I suggest you drop this patch and rework your new DEBUG_LL
>> support on top of Russell's cleanup.  Have a look at that and see if you
>> can reuse the the generic 8250 stuff added by Russell.  While there, you
>> might look at imx.S as well.
>
> I'm not sure why you think imx.S may be able to use the generic 8250
> stuff,

Only because I was lazy and didn't actually look.  I just suggested he
take a look.

> I did convert everything which I considered convertable at the time.

OK, good. I didn't realize you did all the conversions.  I thought you
did a few to set the example and wanted others to finish converting.

Thanks for the cleanup,

Kevin
Russell King - ARM Linux - Aug. 23, 2013, 4:54 p.m.
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:47:44AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> OK, good. I didn't realize you did all the conversions.  I thought you
> did a few to set the example and wanted others to finish converting.
> 
> Thanks for the cleanup,

It's the full thing - which is why I'm eager for there not to be residual
work.

Most of the debug stuff is self-contained, so there shouldn't be a problem
if people want to send me their debug additions directly rather than
feeding them to arm-soc.
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 23, 2013, 7:15 p.m.
Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:

> The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>
>   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/imx-weim-3.12
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 3f98b6baad63b181da4e859d81953e88ce8a50ec:
>
>   drivers: bus: imx-weim: Add support for i.MX1/21/25/27/31/35/50/51/53 (2013-08-16 12:59:44 +0800)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> This is a patch series that updates imx-weim bus driver to have it
> support more i.MX SoCs.  Because there is no maintainer for
> drivers/bus so far, I'm forwarding it through IMX tree for 3.12 merge
> window.

Pulled into next/soc

Kevin
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 23, 2013, 7:17 p.m.
Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:

> The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>
>   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/mxs-soc-3.12
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 7543360721cfdce687c4b53a03f08f5ba21d4745:
>
>   ARM: mxs: pm: Include "pm.h" (2013-08-18 16:34:57 +0800)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> It contains mxs soc changes for 3.12.
>
> - Run savedefconfig on mxs_defconfig to clean it up
> - Fix on mxs_restart() routine for interrupt context calling
> - A few other random updates and cleanups

Pulled into next/soc

Kevin
Kevin Hilman - Aug. 23, 2013, 7:17 p.m.
Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> writes:

> The following changes since commit 5ae90d8e467e625e447000cb4335c4db973b1095:
>
>   Linux 3.11-rc3 (2013-07-28 20:53:33 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.linaro.org/people/shawnguo/linux-2.6.git tags/mxs-dt-3.12
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 23ad6f65748cd7fbaf03c1d36211bc1cbdf4ed45:
>
>   ARM: dts: mxs: add pin config for LCD sync and clock pins (2013-08-16 16:26:53 +0800)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> It contains mxs device tree changes for 3.12.
>
> - New board addition and hogpins cleanup for Crystalfontz
> - New pinctrl entry addition for lcd, ssp2 and saif0
> - Add alias and labels for various nodes
> - Enable devices like LRADC and USB for a couple of imx23 boards,
>   and backlight for M28EVK

Pulled into next/dt

Kevin