Patchwork qemu-ga: build it even if !system

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Michael Tokarev
Date July 31, 2013, 10:24 a.m.
Message ID <1375266255-22207-1-git-send-email-mjt@msgid.tls.msk.ru>
Download mbox | patch
Permalink /patch/263669/
State New
Headers show

Comments

Michael Tokarev - July 31, 2013, 10:24 a.m.
Move qemu-ga build check out of if softmmu.. into if tools section.
We want to build qemu-ga for _guest_ even if system build isn't
done.  It is controlled separately using --enable-guest-agent.

Signed-off-by: Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>
---
 configure |    8 +++-----
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
Michael Tokarev - July 31, 2013, 10:27 a.m.
31.07.2013 14:24, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Move qemu-ga build check out of if softmmu.. into if tools section.
> We want to build qemu-ga for _guest_ even if system build isn't
> done.  It is controlled separately using --enable-guest-agent.

Actually the more I think about it... Maybe it shouldn't depend
on --enable-tools either, but should be an independent option.
Because it isn't really a tool.

The initial issue is - hopefully - clear.  Some obscure guest
which however supports virtio - it needs a guest agent, even
if qemu-system does not build on it.  Example is s390 (not s390x).

/mjt

> Signed-off-by: Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru>
> ---
>   configure |    8 +++-----
>   1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/configure b/configure
> index f0761ea..0105fd2 100755
> --- a/configure
> +++ b/configure
> @@ -3430,6 +3430,9 @@ if test "$want_tools" = "yes" ; then
>     tools="qemu-img\$(EXESUF) qemu-io\$(EXESUF) $tools"
>     if [ "$linux" = "yes" -o "$bsd" = "yes" -o "$solaris" = "yes" ] ; then
>       tools="qemu-nbd\$(EXESUF) $tools"
> +    if [ "$guest_agent" = "yes" ]; then
> +      tools="qemu-ga\$(EXESUF) $tools"
> +    fi
>     fi
>   fi
>   if test "$softmmu" = yes ; then
> @@ -3444,11 +3447,6 @@ if test "$softmmu" = yes ; then
>         virtfs=no
>       fi
>     fi
> -  if [ "$linux" = "yes" -o "$bsd" = "yes" -o "$solaris" = "yes" ] ; then
> -    if [ "$guest_agent" = "yes" ]; then
> -      tools="qemu-ga\$(EXESUF) $tools"
> -    fi
> -  fi
>   fi
>
>   # Mac OS X ships with a broken assembler
>
Peter Maydell - July 31, 2013, 11:05 a.m.
On 31 July 2013 11:27, Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> wrote:
> 31.07.2013 14:24, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Move qemu-ga build check out of if softmmu.. into if tools section.
>> We want to build qemu-ga for _guest_ even if system build isn't
>> done.  It is controlled separately using --enable-guest-agent.
>
> Actually the more I think about it... Maybe it shouldn't depend
> on --enable-tools either, but should be an independent option.
> Because it isn't really a tool.

This seems to me to be unnecessarily breaking things down
into very finely divided categories. I think putting it
in --enable-tools is fine.

-- PMM
Andreas Färber - July 31, 2013, 12:03 p.m.
Am 31.07.2013 13:05, schrieb Peter Maydell:
> On 31 July 2013 11:27, Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> wrote:
>> 31.07.2013 14:24, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>>> Move qemu-ga build check out of if softmmu.. into if tools section.
>>> We want to build qemu-ga for _guest_ even if system build isn't
>>> done.  It is controlled separately using --enable-guest-agent.
>>
>> Actually the more I think about it... Maybe it shouldn't depend
>> on --enable-tools either, but should be an independent option.
>> Because it isn't really a tool.
> 
> This seems to me to be unnecessarily breaking things down
> into very finely divided categories. I think putting it
> in --enable-tools is fine.

I disagree. Think about building a Windows guest agent: You don't need
qemu-img (tools) on a Windows guest, and mjt is right that it shouldn't
be coupled to building any qemu-system-*.

However it looks as if the linux/bsd/solaris checks got lost in the patch?

Andreas
Michael Tokarev - July 31, 2013, 12:24 p.m.
31.07.2013 16:03, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 31.07.2013 13:05, schrieb Peter Maydell:
>>> Actually the more I think about it... Maybe it shouldn't depend
>>> on --enable-tools either, but should be an independent option.
>>> Because it isn't really a tool.
>>
>> This seems to me to be unnecessarily breaking things down
>> into very finely divided categories. I think putting it
>> in --enable-tools is fine.
> 
> I disagree. Think about building a Windows guest agent: You don't need
> qemu-img (tools) on a Windows guest, and mjt is right that it shouldn't
> be coupled to building any qemu-system-*.

It's not a tool, but indeed that's unnecessary too fine-grained.
I'm not sure which way is preferrable :)

> However it looks as if the linux/bsd/solaris checks got lost in the patch?

No, the new place is already within linux/bsd/solaris conditional.

/mjt

Patch

diff --git a/configure b/configure
index f0761ea..0105fd2 100755
--- a/configure
+++ b/configure
@@ -3430,6 +3430,9 @@  if test "$want_tools" = "yes" ; then
   tools="qemu-img\$(EXESUF) qemu-io\$(EXESUF) $tools"
   if [ "$linux" = "yes" -o "$bsd" = "yes" -o "$solaris" = "yes" ] ; then
     tools="qemu-nbd\$(EXESUF) $tools"
+    if [ "$guest_agent" = "yes" ]; then
+      tools="qemu-ga\$(EXESUF) $tools"
+    fi
   fi
 fi
 if test "$softmmu" = yes ; then
@@ -3444,11 +3447,6 @@  if test "$softmmu" = yes ; then
       virtfs=no
     fi
   fi
-  if [ "$linux" = "yes" -o "$bsd" = "yes" -o "$solaris" = "yes" ] ; then
-    if [ "$guest_agent" = "yes" ]; then
-      tools="qemu-ga\$(EXESUF) $tools"
-    fi
-  fi
 fi
 
 # Mac OS X ships with a broken assembler