Patchwork [GIT,PULL,0/2,v2] Renesas sh-sci updates for v3.11

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Simon Horman
Date June 17, 2013, 3:38 a.m.
Message ID <1371440327-30512-1-git-send-email-horms+renesas@verge.net.au>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/251763/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-sh-sci-for-v3.11

Comments

Simon Horman - June 17, 2013, 3:38 a.m.
Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,

As requested the first patch is now includes an ack from Greg Kroah-Hartman.

I have included the r8a7790 change in this patch as it
depends on the first change in the pull-request but nothing else.

This pull request will cause some conflicts though I believe all
of them are not difficult to resolve. The renesas-next-20130613 tag in
my tree illustrates how I have handled the conflicts with
both changes already in arm-soc and changes I intend to send
pull requests for in the near future.

The following changes since commit c7788792a5e7b0d5d7f96d0766b4cb6112d47d75:

  Linux 3.10-rc2 (2013-05-20 14:37:38 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-sh-sci-for-v3.11

for you to fetch changes up to fe0b1091e41e0acae8ddf2da2a5a36b6867ff012:

  ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: don't use external clock for SCIFs (2013-06-17 12:17:48 +0900)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Renesas sh-sci updates for v3.11

HSCIF support by Ulrich Hecht.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ulrich Hecht (2):
      serial: sh-sci: HSCIF support
      ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: don't use external clock for SCIFs

 arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-r8a7790.c |   16 ++++-
 drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c            |  102 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 include/linux/serial_sci.h             |   12 +++-
 include/uapi/linux/serial_core.h       |    3 +
 4 files changed, 120 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
Simon Horman - June 17, 2013, 8:59 a.m.
Sorry, please ignore this, I realised that I have made an error when
applying the second patch.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:38:45PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,
> 
> As requested the first patch is now includes an ack from Greg Kroah-Hartman.
> 
> I have included the r8a7790 change in this patch as it
> depends on the first change in the pull-request but nothing else.
> 
> This pull request will cause some conflicts though I believe all
> of them are not difficult to resolve. The renesas-next-20130613 tag in
> my tree illustrates how I have handled the conflicts with
> both changes already in arm-soc and changes I intend to send
> pull requests for in the near future.
> 
> The following changes since commit c7788792a5e7b0d5d7f96d0766b4cb6112d47d75:
> 
>   Linux 3.10-rc2 (2013-05-20 14:37:38 -0700)
> 
> are available in the git repository at:
> 
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-sh-sci-for-v3.11
> 
> for you to fetch changes up to fe0b1091e41e0acae8ddf2da2a5a36b6867ff012:
> 
>   ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: don't use external clock for SCIFs (2013-06-17 12:17:48 +0900)
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Renesas sh-sci updates for v3.11
> 
> HSCIF support by Ulrich Hecht.
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Ulrich Hecht (2):
>       serial: sh-sci: HSCIF support
>       ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: don't use external clock for SCIFs
> 
>  arch/arm/mach-shmobile/setup-r8a7790.c |   16 ++++-
>  drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c            |  102 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
>  include/linux/serial_sci.h             |   12 +++-
>  include/uapi/linux/serial_core.h       |    3 +
>  4 files changed, 120 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
>
Arnd Bergmann - June 17, 2013, 12:54 p.m.
On Monday 17 June 2013, Simon Horman wrote:
> -       if (likely(baud && port->uartclk))
> -               t = sci_scbrr_calc(s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id, baud, port->uartclk);
> +       if (likely(baud && port->uartclk)) {
> +               if (s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id == SCBRR_ALGO_6) {
> +                       sci_baud_calc_hscif(baud, port->uartclk, &t, &srr,
> +                                           &cks);
> +               } else {
> +                       t = sci_scbrr_calc(s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id, baud,
> +                                          port->uartclk);
> +                       for (cks = 0; t >= 256 && cks <= 3; cks++)
> +                               t >>= 2;
> +               }
> +       }


This hunk causes build warnings in linux-next now:

/git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c: In function 'sci_set_termios':
/git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1942:37: warning: 'srr' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
    serial_port_out(port, HSSRR, srr | HSCIF_SRE);
                                     ^
/git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1892:15: note: 'srr' was declared here
  unsigned int srr;
               ^
/git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1938:47: warning: 'cks' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   serial_port_out(port, SCSMR, (smr_val & ~3) | cks);
                                               ^
/git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1890:40: note: 'cks' was declared here
  unsigned int baud, smr_val, max_baud, cks;
                                        ^

	Arnd
Simon Horman - June 18, 2013, 1:19 a.m.
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:54:48PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 17 June 2013, Simon Horman wrote:
> > -       if (likely(baud && port->uartclk))
> > -               t = sci_scbrr_calc(s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id, baud, port->uartclk);
> > +       if (likely(baud && port->uartclk)) {
> > +               if (s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id == SCBRR_ALGO_6) {
> > +                       sci_baud_calc_hscif(baud, port->uartclk, &t, &srr,
> > +                                           &cks);
> > +               } else {
> > +                       t = sci_scbrr_calc(s->cfg->scbrr_algo_id, baud,
> > +                                          port->uartclk);
> > +                       for (cks = 0; t >= 256 && cks <= 3; cks++)
> > +                               t >>= 2;
> > +               }
> > +       }
> 
> 
> This hunk causes build warnings in linux-next now:
> 
> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c: In function 'sci_set_termios':
> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1942:37: warning: 'srr' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>     serial_port_out(port, HSSRR, srr | HSCIF_SRE);
>                                      ^
> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1892:15: note: 'srr' was declared here
>   unsigned int srr;
>                ^
> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1938:47: warning: 'cks' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>    serial_port_out(port, SCSMR, (smr_val & ~3) | cks);
>                                                ^
> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1890:40: note: 'cks' was declared here
>   unsigned int baud, smr_val, max_baud, cks;

Ulrich, could you please look into this?
Ulrich Hecht - June 19, 2013, 8:46 a.m.
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Simon Horman <horms@verge.net.au> wrote:
>> This hunk causes build warnings in linux-next now:
>>
>> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c: In function 'sci_set_termios':
>> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1942:37: warning: 'srr' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>>     serial_port_out(port, HSSRR, srr | HSCIF_SRE);
>>                                      ^
>> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1892:15: note: 'srr' was declared here
>>   unsigned int srr;
>>                ^
>> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1938:47: warning: 'cks' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>>    serial_port_out(port, SCSMR, (smr_val & ~3) | cks);
>>                                                ^
>> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1890:40: note: 'cks' was declared here
>>   unsigned int baud, smr_val, max_baud, cks;
>
> Ulrich, could you please look into this?

Hmmm... I get this warning with gcc 4.5, 4.6, and 4.8. Apparently gcc
4.7 is the only one that does not warn about this. Guess what I'm
using... :(

This is of course trivially fixed, but I have completely lost track of
the transmogrifications this patch has been subjected to. What's the
procedure?

CU
Uli
Simon Horman - June 19, 2013, 12:33 p.m.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:46:51AM +0200, Ulrich Hecht wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Simon Horman <horms@verge.net.au> wrote:
> >> This hunk causes build warnings in linux-next now:
> >>
> >> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c: In function 'sci_set_termios':
> >> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1942:37: warning: 'srr' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
> >>     serial_port_out(port, HSSRR, srr | HSCIF_SRE);
> >>                                      ^
> >> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1892:15: note: 'srr' was declared here
> >>   unsigned int srr;
> >>                ^
> >> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1938:47: warning: 'cks' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
> >>    serial_port_out(port, SCSMR, (smr_val & ~3) | cks);
> >>                                                ^
> >> /git/arm-soc/drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c:1890:40: note: 'cks' was declared here
> >>   unsigned int baud, smr_val, max_baud, cks;
> >
> > Ulrich, could you please look into this?
> 
> Hmmm... I get this warning with gcc 4.5, 4.6, and 4.8. Apparently gcc
> 4.7 is the only one that does not warn about this. Guess what I'm
> using... :(
> 
> This is of course trivially fixed, but I have completely lost track of
> the transmogrifications this patch has been subjected to. What's the
> procedure?

Hi Ulrich,

perhaps the best way forward would be for you to post an incremental patch
on top of either the sh-sci branch or renesas-next-20130618 tag of
my renesas tree on kernel.org.
Arnd Bergmann - June 19, 2013, 3:08 p.m.
On Wednesday 19 June 2013, Simon Horman wrote:
> > This is of course trivially fixed, but I have completely lost track of
> > the transmogrifications this patch has been subjected to. What's the
> > procedure?
> 
> Hi Ulrich,
> 
> perhaps the best way forward would be for you to post an incremental patch
> on top of either the sh-sci branch or renesas-next-20130618 tag of
> my renesas tree on kernel.org.

I'm not sure where we stand on this series at the moment. Should
I pull v3, has Olof already pulled it, or should I wait for an
update?

	Arnd
Simon Horman - June 20, 2013, 12:08 p.m.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 05:08:46PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 June 2013, Simon Horman wrote:
> > > This is of course trivially fixed, but I have completely lost track of
> > > the transmogrifications this patch has been subjected to. What's the
> > > procedure?
> > 
> > Hi Ulrich,
> > 
> > perhaps the best way forward would be for you to post an incremental patch
> > on top of either the sh-sci branch or renesas-next-20130618 tag of
> > my renesas tree on kernel.org.
> 
> I'm not sure where we stand on this series at the moment. Should
> I pull v3, has Olof already pulled it, or should I wait for an
> update?

Hi Arnd,

my preference is for you to wait for an update.

In order to move things forwards I will post a proposed
fix shortly. I believe that the warnings are for conditions
that can never occur and thus in my patch I will propose initialising the
variables that are flagged as being used uninitialised.