Patchwork [GIT,PULL,v2] arm-soc: Xilinx zynq timer changes for v3.9

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Michal Simek
Date Jan. 22, 2013, 1:08 p.m.
Message ID <CAHTX3d+qeKPT3YYG3=YgWYN5YTS1oT9HoTEpVwC4GZAYve5uYw@mail.gmail.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/214539/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.xilinx.com/linux-xlnx.git zynq/timer

Comments

Michal Simek - Jan. 22, 2013, 1:08 p.m.
Hi Arnd and Olof,

please pull these timer changes to your arm-soc tree.
As Arnd suggested this branch v2 is based on timer/cleanup and
clocksource/cleanup arm-soc branches.
There was one conflict with arch/arm/mach-pxa/time.c which I have resolved
like Olof in the patch "Merge branch 'clocksource/cleanup' into next/cleanup"
(sha1: 8d84981e395850aab31c3f2ca7e2738e03f671d7).
(Also changed indentation in the pxa timer driver as Olof has done)

Arnd also mentioned to move this timer driver to drivers/clocksource
(+ use the new infrastructure introduced there) but this
need to be a separate patch which must be reviewed first.

Please let me know if I miss something.

Thanks,
Michal

The following changes since commit 05ed8a3e5c3a48b5b63305920f88da94d9272b36:
  Michal Simek (1):
        Merge branch 'clocksource/cleanup' into zynq/timer

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.xilinx.com/linux-xlnx.git zynq/timer

Soren Brinkmann (7):
      arm: zynq: timer: Replace PSS through PS
      arm: zynq: timer: Remove unnecessary register write
      arm: zynq: timer: Remove unused #defines
      arm: zynq: timer: Align columns
      arm: zynq: timer: Remove redundant #includes
      arm: zynq: timer: Fix comment style
      arm: zynq: timer: Set clock_event cpumask

 arch/arm/mach-zynq/common.c |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-zynq/common.h |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-zynq/timer.c  |  150 ++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
 3 files changed, 73 insertions(+), 81 deletions(-)
Michal Simek - Jan. 25, 2013, 3:48 p.m.
Hi Arnd and Olof,

can you please look at this pull request?

Thanks,
Michal

2013/1/22 Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com>:
> Hi Arnd and Olof,
>
> please pull these timer changes to your arm-soc tree.
> As Arnd suggested this branch v2 is based on timer/cleanup and
> clocksource/cleanup arm-soc branches.
> There was one conflict with arch/arm/mach-pxa/time.c which I have resolved
> like Olof in the patch "Merge branch 'clocksource/cleanup' into next/cleanup"
> (sha1: 8d84981e395850aab31c3f2ca7e2738e03f671d7).
> (Also changed indentation in the pxa timer driver as Olof has done)
>
> Arnd also mentioned to move this timer driver to drivers/clocksource
> (+ use the new infrastructure introduced there) but this
> need to be a separate patch which must be reviewed first.
>
> Please let me know if I miss something.
>
> Thanks,
> Michal
>
> The following changes since commit 05ed8a3e5c3a48b5b63305920f88da94d9272b36:
>   Michal Simek (1):
>         Merge branch 'clocksource/cleanup' into zynq/timer
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.xilinx.com/linux-xlnx.git zynq/timer
>
> Soren Brinkmann (7):
>       arm: zynq: timer: Replace PSS through PS
>       arm: zynq: timer: Remove unnecessary register write
>       arm: zynq: timer: Remove unused #defines
>       arm: zynq: timer: Align columns
>       arm: zynq: timer: Remove redundant #includes
>       arm: zynq: timer: Fix comment style
>       arm: zynq: timer: Set clock_event cpumask
>
>  arch/arm/mach-zynq/common.c |    2 +-
>  arch/arm/mach-zynq/common.h |    2 +-
>  arch/arm/mach-zynq/timer.c  |  150 ++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
>  3 files changed, 73 insertions(+), 81 deletions(-)
Olof Johansson - Jan. 28, 2013, 6:13 a.m.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:48:43PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Arnd and Olof,
> 
> can you please look at this pull request?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I was out sick part of last week and dealing with
backlog when I got back on my feet. Doing a sweep of pull requests now.

Two comments.

1. mach-pxa/time.c conflict resolution doesn't seem right -- you for some
   reason deleted the suspend/resume struct members from the
   clock_event_device.

2. Below:

> > Soren Brinkmann (7):
> >       arm: zynq: timer: Replace PSS through PS

This is pure churn. :( We can't keep renaming things in the kernel just
because some document writer decides to change a term, we tend to stick
to what's already there. As long as it's not completely misleading, at least.


I' shortly  push a new "depends/cleanup" branch to arm-soc. It essentially
contains the next/cleanup contents that you merged together yourself,
but as a branch that you can just pull in. Since others might need to
do the same, providing the branch from us just makes sense.

So, can you please rebase on top of that and send a fresh pull request? If
you really want the PSS->PS rename included I'll give you a first-time
pass for it but please keep it in mind for the future.


Thanks!

-Olof
Michal Simek - Jan. 28, 2013, 12:34 p.m.
Hi,

2013/1/28 Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:48:43PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi Arnd and Olof,
>>
>> can you please look at this pull request?
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay. I was out sick part of last week and dealing with
> backlog when I got back on my feet. Doing a sweep of pull requests now.

ah ok.

> Two comments.
>
> 1. mach-pxa/time.c conflict resolution doesn't seem right -- you for some
>    reason deleted the suspend/resume struct members from the
>    clock_event_device.

grrr. You are right,


> 2. Below:
>
>> > Soren Brinkmann (7):
>> >       arm: zynq: timer: Replace PSS through PS
>
> This is pure churn. :( We can't keep renaming things in the kernel just
> because some document writer decides to change a term, we tend to stick
> to what's already there. As long as it's not completely misleading, at least.
>
>
> I' shortly  push a new "depends/cleanup" branch to arm-soc. It essentially
> contains the next/cleanup contents that you merged together yourself,
> but as a branch that you can just pull in. Since others might need to
> do the same, providing the branch from us just makes sense.
>
> So, can you please rebase on top of that and send a fresh pull request? If
> you really want the PSS->PS rename included I'll give you a first-time
> pass for it but please keep it in mind for the future.

I tend to keep this patch in the tree but I will keep this in my mind.
I believe that only this mainline timer driver contains it and all new patches
which come soon will just use PS instead of PSS.

I will send updated pull request.
There will be one more patch "arm: zynq: Add missing irqchip.h to common.c"
because of compilation error introduced by the last merge around git changes.

btw: I want to also add maintainer fragment and defconfig update(sent by Josh)
Which branch should I use?

Thanks,
Michal
Olof Johansson - Jan. 30, 2013, 2:06 a.m.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 01:34:46PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> 2013/1/28 Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:48:43PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
> >> Hi Arnd and Olof,
> >>
> >> can you please look at this pull request?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay. I was out sick part of last week and dealing with
> > backlog when I got back on my feet. Doing a sweep of pull requests now.
> 
> ah ok.
> 
> > Two comments.
> >
> > 1. mach-pxa/time.c conflict resolution doesn't seem right -- you for some
> >    reason deleted the suspend/resume struct members from the
> >    clock_event_device.
> 
> grrr. You are right,
> 
> 
> > 2. Below:
> >
> >> > Soren Brinkmann (7):
> >> >       arm: zynq: timer: Replace PSS through PS
> >
> > This is pure churn. :( We can't keep renaming things in the kernel just
> > because some document writer decides to change a term, we tend to stick
> > to what's already there. As long as it's not completely misleading, at least.
> >
> >
> > I' shortly  push a new "depends/cleanup" branch to arm-soc. It essentially
> > contains the next/cleanup contents that you merged together yourself,
> > but as a branch that you can just pull in. Since others might need to
> > do the same, providing the branch from us just makes sense.
> >
> > So, can you please rebase on top of that and send a fresh pull request? If
> > you really want the PSS->PS rename included I'll give you a first-time
> > pass for it but please keep it in mind for the future.
> 
> I tend to keep this patch in the tree but I will keep this in my mind.
> I believe that only this mainline timer driver contains it and all new patches
> which come soon will just use PS instead of PSS.
> 
> I will send updated pull request.
> There will be one more patch "arm: zynq: Add missing irqchip.h to common.c"
> because of compilation error introduced by the last merge around git changes.
> 
> btw: I want to also add maintainer fragment and defconfig update(sent by Josh)
> Which branch should I use?

You can just cc us on your Acked-by, and we can apply them directly. I suspect
they might otherwise just be single-patch branches. :)


-Olof
Olof Johansson - Jan. 30, 2013, 2:11 a.m.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 01:53:11PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Olof,
> 
> based on your previous email I am sending updated pull request which is based
> on arm-soc depends/cleanup branch.
> As I wrote in my email I tend to keep there Soren's patch around
> renaming PSS to PS
> and be more strict on this for future.
> I have also added one more patch which fix Rob's conversion to irqchip_init.

Ok, pulled. Sorry for the delay, I had forgotten this email halfway read on my
machine at home, so it fell of my list of branches to pull earlier today.

> btw: As I mentioned in the previous email I want to add 2 defconfig
> updates + maintainer
> fragment. I have created branch zynq/misc in the same repo. Is this
> name ok for you?
> If yes, I will send you separate pull request just for this branch.

Ah, do'h, I replied to the previous email. Nevermind that suggestion then, I'll
just pull the misc branch.


Thanks,

-Olof
Olof Johansson - Jan. 30, 2013, 2:29 a.m.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 01:53:11PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:

> btw: As I mentioned in the previous email I want to add 2 defconfig
> updates + maintainer
> fragment. I have created branch zynq/misc in the same repo. Is this
> name ok for you?
> If yes, I will send you separate pull request just for this branch.

Actually, since I alreayd had two of those patches, I just cherry-picked over
your MAINTAINERS entry and applied it directly.


-Olof
Michal Simek - Jan. 30, 2013, 9:13 a.m.
2013/1/30 Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 01:53:11PM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi Olof,
>>
>> based on your previous email I am sending updated pull request which is based
>> on arm-soc depends/cleanup branch.
>> As I wrote in my email I tend to keep there Soren's patch around
>> renaming PSS to PS
>> and be more strict on this for future.
>> I have also added one more patch which fix Rob's conversion to irqchip_init.
>
> Ok, pulled. Sorry for the delay, I had forgotten this email halfway read on my
> machine at home, so it fell of my list of branches to pull earlier today.
>
>> btw: As I mentioned in the previous email I want to add 2 defconfig
>> updates + maintainer
>> fragment. I have created branch zynq/misc in the same repo. Is this
>> name ok for you?
>> If yes, I will send you separate pull request just for this branch.
>
> Ah, do'h, I replied to the previous email. Nevermind that suggestion then, I'll
> just pull the misc branch.

I just collection that patches just for sure not to be lost.

Thanks,
Michal