Patchwork [10/20] xdriver_xf86-video-s3: remove package

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Thomas Petazzoni
Date Jan. 2, 2013, 11:26 a.m.
Message ID <44205c6a9db9d3496db982f686d29fe9d096a088.1357125961.git.thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
Download mbox | patch
Permalink /patch/208998/
State Accepted
Commit 5bbdbacad851e0f0b697fead5cb87453cd8ea93e
Headers show

Comments

Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 2, 2013, 11:26 a.m.
This X.org driver has been removed from upstream X.org releases and is
related to a very specific type of hardware that isn't likely to be used
in a Buildroot context.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
---
 package/x11r7/Config.in                            |    2 --
 package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in      |   11 -----------
 .../xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk |   12 ------------
 3 files changed, 25 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
 delete mode 100644 package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
Stefan Fröberg - Jan. 2, 2013, 1:25 p.m.
Hi Thomas

2.1.2013 13:26, Thomas Petazzoni kirjoitti:
> This X.org driver has been removed from upstream X.org releases and is
> related to a very specific type of hardware that isn't likely to be used
> in a Buildroot context.
>
> Signed-off-by: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
> ---
>  package/x11r7/Config.in                            |    2 --
>  package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in      |   11 -----------
>  .../xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk |   12 ------------
>  3 files changed, 25 deletions(-)
>  delete mode 100644 package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
>  delete mode 100644 package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
>
> diff --git a/package/x11r7/Config.in b/package/x11r7/Config.in
> index a6be745..ee5fb04 100644
> --- a/package/x11r7/Config.in
> +++ b/package/x11r7/Config.in
> @@ -196,8 +196,6 @@ endmenu
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-nv/Config.in
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-openchrome/Config.in
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-r128/Config.in
> -		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
> -		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3virge/Config.in
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-savage/Config.in
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-siliconmotion/Config.in
>  		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-sis/Config.in
> diff --git a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in b/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
> deleted file mode 100644
> index 1091028..0000000
> --- a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
> +++ /dev/null
> @@ -1,11 +0,0 @@
> -config BR2_PACKAGE_XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3
> -	bool "xf86-video-s3"
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_FONTSPROTO
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_RANDRPROTO
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_RENDERPROTO
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_VIDEOPROTO
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_XEXTPROTO
> -	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_XPROTO
> -	help
> -	  X.Org driver for s3 cards
> diff --git a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk b/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
> deleted file mode 100644
> index b2cf5cf..0000000
> --- a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
> +++ /dev/null
> @@ -1,12 +0,0 @@
> -################################################################################
> -#
> -# xdriver_xf86-video-s3 -- X.Org driver for s3 cards
> -#
> -################################################################################
> -
> -XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_VERSION = 0.6.3
> -XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_SOURCE = xf86-video-s3-$(XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_VERSION).tar.bz2
> -XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_SITE = http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver
> -XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_DEPENDENCIES = xserver_xorg-server xproto_fontsproto xproto_randrproto xproto_renderproto xproto_videoproto xproto_xextproto xproto_xproto
> -
> -$(eval $(autotools-package))

What xorg version are this for ?
Xorg 1.13.1 ?

Are Xorg developers now saying that "everybody" are using ATI or NVIDIA
or Intel
and all other graphic cards are suddenly obsolete and unsupported ?

Regards
Stefan
Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 2, 2013, 4:57 p.m.
Dear Stefan Fröberg,

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:25:44 +0200, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> What xorg version are this for ?
> Xorg 1.13.1 ?

1.13.1 is a X.org server version, so it is not directly relevant here.
I'm looking at X11R7.7, which is the latest stable release of X.org.
See http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/everything/ for the complete
contents of this release.

From http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/ReleaseNotes.txt:

Removed in this Release

             This release no longer contains the following drivers, due to lack
             of maintainers with relevant hardware. Existing driver versions
             may work with current Xorg servers, but they are not being
             actively updated to support Xorg driver API & ABI changes.

               ● xf86-input-acecad: Acecad Flair

               ● xf86-input-aiptek: Aiptek USB tablet

               ● xf86-video-apm: Alliance Pro Motion

               ● xf86-video-chips: Chips & Technologies

               ● xf86-video-i740: Intel i740

               ● xf86-video-rendition: Rendition Verite

Unmaintained   ● xf86-video-s3: S3 (not ViRGE or Savage)
drivers
               ● xf86-video-s3virge: S3 ViRGE

               ● xf86-video-sisusb: SiS Net2280-based USB

               ● xf86-video-suncg14: Sun CG14

               ● xf86-video-suncg3: Sun CG3

               ● xf86-video-sunleo: Sun Leo (ZX)

               ● xf86-video-suntcx: Sun TCX

               ● xf86-video-tseng: Tseng Labs

               ● xf86-video-xgi: XGI

               ● xf86-video-xgixp: XGI Volari 8300

Of course, I am curious to know if anybody is actually using one of
these drivers, in which case we can postpone the removal.

Best regards,

Thomas
Gustavo Zacarias - Jan. 2, 2013, 6:54 p.m.
On 01/02/2013 01:57 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Of course, I am curious to know if anybody is actually using one of
> these drivers, in which case we can postpone the removal.

All of the xf86-video-sun* drivers can be safely removed, even the cg6,
they're Sun workstation (SPARC) specific. And they're SBUS or UPA which
is a propietary Sun bus.
C&T, Rendition and Tseng haven't produced any video chip like for ages
now (10+ years). They don't even exist anymore.
For SiS (non-USB) i think i still got one ebox2300 (mini pc) that uses
one of those if it needs testing - though it was working last time i
tried with buildroot so no reason to think it broke.
Regards.
Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 2, 2013, 7:01 p.m.
Hello,

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:54:32 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:

> All of the xf86-video-sun* drivers can be safely removed, even the
> cg6, they're Sun workstation (SPARC) specific. And they're SBUS or
> UPA which is a propietary Sun bus.
> C&T, Rendition and Tseng haven't produced any video chip like for ages
> now (10+ years). They don't even exist anymore.
> For SiS (non-USB) i think i still got one ebox2300 (mini pc) that uses
> one of those if it needs testing - though it was working last time i
> tried with buildroot so no reason to think it broke.

Here I'm really only removing things that the X.org project considers
as unmaintained. So I would prefer if you could raise the fact that the
SiS driver is still useful to the X.org people, so that they keep this
driver. I don't think we can reasonably keep an unmaintained X.org
driver in Buildroot if we want to easily continue to upgrade the other
X.org packages.

Best regards,

Thomas
Gustavo Zacarias - Jan. 2, 2013, 7:15 p.m.
On 01/02/2013 04:01 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Here I'm really only removing things that the X.org project considers
> as unmaintained. So I would prefer if you could raise the fact that the
> SiS driver is still useful to the X.org people, so that they keep this
> driver. I don't think we can reasonably keep an unmaintained X.org
> driver in Buildroot if we want to easily continue to upgrade the other
> X.org packages.

Hmm?
I'm just pointing to the fact that i can test the sis (not sisusb....
completely different monster) driver, which is supported.
Regards.
Stefan Fröberg - Jan. 3, 2013, 12:03 a.m.
Hi Thomas

2.1.2013 21:01, Thomas Petazzoni kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:54:32 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
>
>> All of the xf86-video-sun* drivers can be safely removed, even the
>> cg6, they're Sun workstation (SPARC) specific. And they're SBUS or
>> UPA which is a propietary Sun bus.
>> C&T, Rendition and Tseng haven't produced any video chip like for ages
>> now (10+ years). They don't even exist anymore.
>> For SiS (non-USB) i think i still got one ebox2300 (mini pc) that uses
>> one of those if it needs testing - though it was working last time i
>> tried with buildroot so no reason to think it broke.
> Here I'm really only removing things that the X.org project considers
> as unmaintained. So I would prefer if you could raise the fact that the
> SiS driver is still useful to the X.org people, so that they keep this
> driver. I don't think we can reasonably keep an unmaintained X.org
> driver in Buildroot if we want to easily continue to upgrade the other
> X.org packages.

I happen to have old (from 2005) laptop with integrated SiS inside it,
gathering dust.

Does that count ?
:-)

Last time I tried it with my buildroot build linux distro it worked like
a charm.
Actually better than that. For all the various linux distros and flavors
I have
stuffed into that crappy lil laptop, this was the fastest :-)


Stefan
Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 3, 2013, 10:42 a.m.
Dear Gustavo Zacarias,

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:15:43 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 04:01 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> 
> > Here I'm really only removing things that the X.org project
> > considers as unmaintained. So I would prefer if you could raise the
> > fact that the SiS driver is still useful to the X.org people, so
> > that they keep this driver. I don't think we can reasonably keep an
> > unmaintained X.org driver in Buildroot if we want to easily
> > continue to upgrade the other X.org packages.
> 
> Hmm?
> I'm just pointing to the fact that i can test the sis (not sisusb....
> completely different monster) driver, which is supported.

Since you were replying to a patch removing a X.org driver because the
driver has been removed from X.org releases, I thought your SiS driver
was in this case, but it's not.

So, your point was that beyond the driver I removed, a bunch of others
could be removed, because even though X.org still has those drivers in
their releases, the hardware is so ancient that it doesn't make sense
to keep the drivers?

Thomas
Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 3, 2013, 10:43 a.m.
Dear Stefan Fröberg,

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 02:03:00 +0200, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> I happen to have old (from 2005) laptop with integrated SiS inside it,
> gathering dust.
> 
> Does that count ?
> :-)
> 
> Last time I tried it with my buildroot build linux distro it worked
> like a charm.
> Actually better than that. For all the various linux distros and
> flavors I have
> stuffed into that crappy lil laptop, this was the fastest :-)

The patch set removes "sisusb", not "sis", which is still part of X.org
releases.

Thomas
Gustavo Zacarias - Jan. 3, 2013, 10:47 a.m.
On 01/03/2013 07:42 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Since you were replying to a patch removing a X.org driver because the
> driver has been removed from X.org releases, I thought your SiS driver
> was in this case, but it's not.
> 
> So, your point was that beyond the driver I removed, a bunch of others
> could be removed, because even though X.org still has those drivers in
> their releases, the hardware is so ancient that it doesn't make sense
> to keep the drivers?

Yes, that exactly.
Regards.
Thomas Petazzoni - Jan. 3, 2013, 11:20 a.m.
Dear Gustavo Zacarias,

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 07:47:23 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 07:42 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> 
> > Since you were replying to a patch removing a X.org driver because
> > the driver has been removed from X.org releases, I thought your SiS
> > driver was in this case, but it's not.
> > 
> > So, your point was that beyond the driver I removed, a bunch of
> > others could be removed, because even though X.org still has those
> > drivers in their releases, the hardware is so ancient that it
> > doesn't make sense to keep the drivers?
> 
> Yes, that exactly.

Ok, understood.

Indeed, a lot more drivers could be removed. For now, I just limited
myself to the drivers that have been removed from X.org releases, since
those ones shouldn't raise a lot of discussion. It's only a first step,
obviously.

Best regards,

Thomas

Patch

diff --git a/package/x11r7/Config.in b/package/x11r7/Config.in
index a6be745..ee5fb04 100644
--- a/package/x11r7/Config.in
+++ b/package/x11r7/Config.in
@@ -196,8 +196,6 @@  endmenu
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-nv/Config.in
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-openchrome/Config.in
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-r128/Config.in
-		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
-		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3virge/Config.in
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-savage/Config.in
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-siliconmotion/Config.in
 		source package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-sis/Config.in
diff --git a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in b/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
deleted file mode 100644
index 1091028..0000000
--- a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/Config.in
+++ /dev/null
@@ -1,11 +0,0 @@ 
-config BR2_PACKAGE_XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3
-	bool "xf86-video-s3"
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_FONTSPROTO
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_RANDRPROTO
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_RENDERPROTO
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_VIDEOPROTO
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_XEXTPROTO
-	select BR2_PACKAGE_XPROTO_XPROTO
-	help
-	  X.Org driver for s3 cards
diff --git a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk b/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
deleted file mode 100644
index b2cf5cf..0000000
--- a/package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-s3/xdriver_xf86-video-s3.mk
+++ /dev/null
@@ -1,12 +0,0 @@ 
-################################################################################
-#
-# xdriver_xf86-video-s3 -- X.Org driver for s3 cards
-#
-################################################################################
-
-XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_VERSION = 0.6.3
-XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_SOURCE = xf86-video-s3-$(XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_VERSION).tar.bz2
-XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_SITE = http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver
-XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_S3_DEPENDENCIES = xserver_xorg-server xproto_fontsproto xproto_randrproto xproto_renderproto xproto_videoproto xproto_xextproto xproto_xproto
-
-$(eval $(autotools-package))