@@ -6,7 +6,7 @@
-- B o d y --
+-- Copyright (C) 1996-2012, Free Software Foundation, Inc. --
-- GNAT is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under --
-- terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Soft- --
@@ -352,13 +352,13 @@
-- Access parameters (RM B.3(68))
-- Access to subprogram types (RM B.3(71))
- -- Note: in the case of access parameters, it is the
- -- pointer that is passed by value. In GNAT access
- -- parameters are treated as IN parameters of an
- -- anonymous access type, so this falls out free.
+ -- Note: in the case of access parameters, it is the pointer
+ -- that is passed by value. In GNAT access parameters are
+ -- treated as IN parameters of an anonymous access type, so
+ -- this falls out free.
- -- The bottom line is that all IN elementary types
- -- are passed by copy in GNAT.
+ -- The bottom line is that all IN elementary types are
+ -- passed by copy in GNAT.
if Is_Elementary_Type (Typ) then
if Ekind (Formal) = E_In_Parameter then
@@ -385,10 +385,21 @@
if Convention (Typ) /= Convention_C then
Set_Mechanism (Formal, By_Reference);
- -- If convention C_Pass_By_Copy was specified for
- -- the record type, then we pass by copy.
+ -- OUT and IN OUT parameters of record types are passed
+ -- by reference regardless of pragmas (RM B.3 (69/2)).
- elsif C_Pass_By_Copy (Typ) then
+ elsif Ekind_In (Formal, E_Out_Parameter,
+ Set_Mechanism (Formal, By_Reference);
+ -- IN parameters of record types are passed by copy only
+ -- when the related type has convention C_Pass_By_Copy
+ -- (RM B.3 (68.1/2)).
+ elsif Ekind (Formal) = E_In_Parameter
+ and then C_Pass_By_Copy (Typ)
Set_Mechanism (Formal, By_Copy);
-- Otherwise, for a C convention record, we set the