Patchwork [GIT,PULL] ARM: SPEAr13xx support for 3.5

login
register
mail settings
Submitter viresh kumar
Date April 30, 2012, 4:10 p.m.
Message ID <CAOh2x==Dh5thHoQaQ+eN34oeWsmZ32kMOOQ6nU5kO7Tfcr=PUA@mail.gmail.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/155917/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.stlinux.com/spear/linux-2.6.git for-v3.5-spear13xx

Comments

viresh kumar - April 30, 2012, 4:10 p.m.
Hi Arnd/Olof,

This is pull request for SPEAr13xx support updates. It had dependency
on for-v3.5-spear-clk, spear/dt and spear/pinctrl for applying patches, and
so i created a merge of v3.4-rc5 with spear/dt and pinctrl branches and applied
for-v3.5-spear-clk patches, before this patchset.

Also, it has compilation dependencies with:
- Mike's clk-next branch
- Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ...

I have added Reviewed & Acked -by from Mike and Linus on few patches.

The following changes since commit 9e1a2a12e55a9d8da21810cab91b91eb8f27be35:

  SPEAr: Switch to common clock framework (2012-04-30 13:36:13 +0530)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.stlinux.com/spear/linux-2.6.git for-v3.5-spear13xx

for you to fetch changes up to bfaa722b194835e80921d62a97fc0da82e6a8cc4:

  SPEAr: Update MAINTAINERS and Documentation (2012-04-30 13:44:39 +0530)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Viresh Kumar (10):
      SPEAr: Add DT bindings for SPEAr's timer
      SPEAr13xx: Add header files
      SPEAr13xx: Add source files
      SPEAr13xx: Add common clock framework support
      pinctrl: SPEAr: Create macro for declaring GPIO PINS
      pinctrl: Add SPEAr13xx pinctrl drivers
      SPEAr13xx: Add dts and dtsi files
      SPEAr13xx: Add compilation support
      SPEAr13xx: Add defconfig
      SPEAr: Update MAINTAINERS and Documentation

 Documentation/arm/SPEAr/overview.txt               |   32 +-
 .../devicetree/bindings/arm/spear-timer.txt        |   18 +
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/spear.txt    |   14 +-
 .../devicetree/bindings/pinctrl/pinctrl_spear.txt  |   47 +
 MAINTAINERS                                        |   13 +
 arch/arm/Makefile                                  |    2 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1310-evb.dts                |  267 +++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1310.dtsi                   |  184 ++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1340-evb.dts                |  283 +++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1340.dtsi                   |   56 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear13xx.dtsi                   |  262 +++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear3xx.dtsi                    |    6 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear600.dtsi                    |    6 +
 arch/arm/configs/spear13xx_defconfig               |   91 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Kconfig                    |   20 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Makefile                   |   10 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Makefile.boot              |    6 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/headsmp.S                  |   47 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/hotplug.c                  |  119 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/debug-macro.S |   14 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/dma.h         |  128 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/generic.h     |   49 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/gpio.h        |   19 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/hardware.h    |    1 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/irqs.h        |   20 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/spear.h       |   62 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/timex.h       |   19 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/uncompress.h  |   19 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/platsmp.c                  |  127 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear1310.c                |   88 +
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear1340.c                |  192 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear13xx.c                |  197 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear3xx/include/mach/generic.h      |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-spear3xx/include/mach/irqs.h         |    1 -
 arch/arm/mach-spear3xx/include/mach/spear.h        |    1 -
 arch/arm/mach-spear3xx/spear3xx.c                  |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-spear6xx/include/mach/generic.h      |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-spear6xx/include/mach/irqs.h         |    3 -
 arch/arm/mach-spear6xx/include/mach/spear.h        |    1 -
 arch/arm/mach-spear6xx/spear6xx.c                  |    2 +-
 arch/arm/plat-spear/Kconfig                        |   12 +
 arch/arm/plat-spear/Makefile                       |    5 +-
 arch/arm/plat-spear/restart.c                      |    5 +
 arch/arm/plat-spear/time.c                         |   31 +-
 drivers/clk/spear/Makefile                         |    2 +
 drivers/clk/spear/spear1310_clock.c                | 1106 ++++++++++
 drivers/clk/spear/spear1340_clock.c                |  964 +++++++++
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/Kconfig                      |   10 +
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/Makefile                     |    2 +
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear.h              |  251 +++
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear1310.c          | 2198 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear1340.c          | 1989 ++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear3xx.c           |  103 +-
 53 files changed, 8965 insertions(+), 145 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/spear-timer.txt
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1310-evb.dts
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1310.dtsi
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1340-evb.dts
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear1340.dtsi
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/spear13xx.dtsi
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/configs/spear13xx_defconfig
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Makefile
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/Makefile.boot
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/headsmp.S
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/hotplug.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/debug-macro.S
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/dma.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/generic.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/gpio.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/hardware.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/irqs.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/spear.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/spear1310_misc_regs.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/spear1340_misc_regs.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/timex.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/include/mach/uncompress.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/platsmp.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear1310.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear1340.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-spear13xx/spear13xx.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/clk/spear/spear1310_clock.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/clk/spear/spear1340_clock.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear1310.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/pinctrl/spear/pinctrl-spear1340.c
Arnd Bergmann - April 30, 2012, 5:46 p.m.
On Monday 30 April 2012, viresh kumar wrote:
> Hi Arnd/Olof,
> 
> This is pull request for SPEAr13xx support updates. It had dependency
> on for-v3.5-spear-clk, spear/dt and spear/pinctrl for applying patches, and
> so i created a merge of v3.4-rc5 with spear/dt and pinctrl branches and applied
> for-v3.5-spear-clk patches, before this patchset.
> 
> Also, it has compilation dependencies with:
> - Mike's clk-next branch
> - Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ...

Ok, I missed the compilation dependencies you mentioned here.  So the branch
you sent me doesn't actually build by itself, which is not good.

I have now merged both as staging branches, which means it will be in linux-next
from now on but can still get rebased in order to work out the dependencies.
We can work out something from here once I understand where the dependencies
are.

	Arnd
Viresh KUMAR - May 1, 2012, 3:40 a.m.
On 4/30/2012 11:16 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Ok, I missed the compilation dependencies you mentioned here.  So the branch
> you sent me doesn't actually build by itself, which is not good.

I thought, i must not add patches from Russell and Mike in my pull request, as they
haven't made to linux-next till now. i.e. even if this branch doesn't compile by
itself, it should get compiled when it is merged with your branch, where these
dependencies must be present already. Isn't this the right approach?

> I have now merged both as staging branches, which means it will be in linux-next
> from now on but can still get rebased in order to work out the dependencies.

Ok.

> We can work out something from here once I understand where the dependencies
> are.

These two only:

- Mike's clk-next branch
- Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ...
Arnd Bergmann - May 1, 2012, 8:34 a.m.
On Tuesday 01 May 2012, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> 
> On 4/30/2012 11:16 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Ok, I missed the compilation dependencies you mentioned here.  So the branch
> > you sent me doesn't actually build by itself, which is not good.
> 
> I thought, i must not add patches from Russell and Mike in my pull request, as they
> haven't made to linux-next till now. i.e. even if this branch doesn't compile by
> itself, it should get compiled when it is merged with your branch, where these
> dependencies must be present already. Isn't this the right approach?

It's more complicated than this. You are right that you cannot just add patches
to one tree that should go through a different tree. However, another requirement
is that all branches are bisectable and you have a working kernel at each
intermediate step. It takes some experience to get it all working.

> > We can work out something from here once I understand where the dependencies
> > are.
> 
> These two only:
> 
> - Mike's clk-next branch

The right solution for this would have been to take it as another base merged
with the other two branches and put the new patches on top, and then let me
pull in the clk-next branch as a dependency into linux-next that needs to
get upstream first before I send out your patches.

This is not as important for a new platform like spear13xx because there won't
be any regressions, but you should absolutely make sure that you don't break
existing platforms. I also noticed now that the pinctrl patches in the spear3xx
series don't work by themselves and have another dependency on the stuff that
I presume is in Linus' pinctrl tree.

> - Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ... 

I could not find out the status of that patch. Which branch is it going to get
merged through?

	Arnd
Viresh KUMAR - May 1, 2012, 8:38 a.m.
On 5/1/2012 2:04 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> I could not find out the status of that patch. Which branch is it going to get
> merged through?

Russell has floated the last version of this one himself. Maybe he will take it
through his tree only.
Russell King - ARM Linux - May 1, 2012, 8:38 a.m.
On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:34:14AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2012, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > - Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ... 
> 
> I could not find out the status of that patch. Which branch is it going to get
> merged through?

That's because I've not committed it yet.
Russell King - ARM Linux - May 1, 2012, 8:42 a.m.
On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 09:38:13AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:34:14AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 May 2012, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > > - Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ... 
> > 
> > I could not find out the status of that patch. Which branch is it going to get
> > merged through?
> 
> That's because I've not committed it yet.

Note also that the latest version of it, posted just last Saturday, has
yet to attract any replies what so ever.
Arnd Bergmann - May 1, 2012, 8:54 a.m.
On Tuesday 01 May 2012, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 09:38:13AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:34:14AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 01 May 2012, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > > > - Russell's: CLKDEV: Add helper routines to allocate and add clkdevs for ... 
> > > 
> > > I could not find out the status of that patch. Which branch is it going to get
> > > merged through?
> > 
> > That's because I've not committed it yet.
> 
> Note also that the latest version of it, posted just last Saturday, has
> yet to attract any replies what so ever.

Ok. In that case, we need to wait until that is settled and applied to a
stable branch. Viresh, please tell me when all the dependencies are merged
somewhere, then we can do a refresh of your patches on top of those. You can
either send me a new version then, or I can rebased the patches from the
staging branch and apply them into a proper next/* branch.

	Arnd