Patchwork [GIT,PULL] at91: fixes for 3.3-rc4

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Nicolas Ferre
Date Feb. 13, 2012, 5:49 p.m.
Message ID <4F394D34.6000604@atmel.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/140948/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://github.com/at91linux/linux-at91.git at91-fixes

Comments

Nicolas Ferre - Feb. 13, 2012, 5:49 p.m.
Olof, Arnd,

Here is the second "fixes" pull request. It collects a simple #ifdef fix, the
proper use of ioremap() in the RTC driver and a set of SMC related
modifications.
The SMC has been modified recently and has broken the pata_at91 driver. The
new accessors are fixing this situation. Finally, the old at91_ide driver is
removed because it is not maintained anymore, the IDE tree is frozen and PATA
should be used instead.

I have also verified that it merges correctly with depends/rmk/for-armsoc and all
at91 related 3.4 material...

You can find all this here:

The following changes since commit d65b4e98d7ea3038b767b70fe8be959b2913f16d:

  Linux 3.3-rc3 (2012-02-08 19:21:53 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://github.com/at91linux/linux-at91.git at91-fixes

for you to fetch changes up to cf844751fb25e095d8fa30332cb173a73e5a736c:

  ARM: at91: drop ide driver in favor of the pata one (2012-02-13 18:31:37 +0100)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD (4):
      ARM: at91:rtc/rtc-at91sam9: ioremap register bank
      ARM: at91: add accessor to manage SMC
      pata/at91: use newly introduced SMC accessors
      ARM: at91: drop ide driver in favor of the pata one

Nicolas Ferre (1):
      ARM: at91: USB AT91 gadget registration for module

 arch/arm/mach-at91/at91rm9200_devices.c        |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-at91/at91sam9260_devices.c       |    9 +-
 arch/arm/mach-at91/at91sam9261_devices.c       |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-at91/at91sam9263_devices.c       |    8 +-
 arch/arm/mach-at91/include/mach/at91sam9_smc.h |   29 ++
 arch/arm/mach-at91/sam9_smc.c                  |   76 +++++-
 arch/arm/mach-at91/sam9_smc.h                  |   23 --
 drivers/ata/pata_at91.c                        |   48 ++--
 drivers/ide/Makefile                           |    1 -
 drivers/ide/at91_ide.c                         |  366 ------------------------
 drivers/rtc/rtc-at91sam9.c                     |   13 +-
 11 files changed, 140 insertions(+), 437 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 drivers/ide/at91_ide.c

Thanks a lot, best regards,
Arnd Bergmann - Feb. 14, 2012, 12:52 a.m.
On Monday 13 February 2012, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
> Olof, Arnd,
> 
> Here is the second "fixes" pull request. It collects a simple #ifdef fix, the
> proper use of ioremap() in the RTC driver and a set of SMC related
> modifications.
> The SMC has been modified recently and has broken the pata_at91 driver. The
> new accessors are fixing this situation. Finally, the old at91_ide driver is
> removed because it is not maintained anymore, the IDE tree is frozen and PATA
> should be used instead.
> 
> I have also verified that it merges correctly with depends/rmk/for-armsoc and all
> at91 related 3.4 material...
> 
> You can find all this here:
> 
> The following changes since commit d65b4e98d7ea3038b767b70fe8be959b2913f16d:

Hmm, this is a bit bigger than I would have hoped for an -rc4 pull request.

I've applied it now to the fixes branch because it seems necessary, I hope
this doesn't come back to us in a bad way. Olof, please have a look over
these patches as well. If you're ok with these, I'll send the entire batch
to Linus.

	Arnd
Olof Johansson - Feb. 14, 2012, 3:21 a.m.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2012, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
>> Olof, Arnd,
>>
>> Here is the second "fixes" pull request. It collects a simple #ifdef fix, the
>> proper use of ioremap() in the RTC driver and a set of SMC related
>> modifications.
>> The SMC has been modified recently and has broken the pata_at91 driver. The
>> new accessors are fixing this situation. Finally, the old at91_ide driver is
>> removed because it is not maintained anymore, the IDE tree is frozen and PATA
>> should be used instead.
>>
>> I have also verified that it merges correctly with depends/rmk/for-armsoc and all
>> at91 related 3.4 material...
>>
>> You can find all this here:
>>
>> The following changes since commit d65b4e98d7ea3038b767b70fe8be959b2913f16d:
>
> Hmm, this is a bit bigger than I would have hoped for an -rc4 pull request.

Agreed.

> I've applied it now to the fixes branch because it seems necessary, I hope
> this doesn't come back to us in a bad way. Olof, please have a look over
> these patches as well. If you're ok with these, I'll send the entire batch
> to Linus.

I was going to suggest holding off the driver removal for the 3.4
merge window since we are soon at -rc4, but I suppose it could still
be OK.

As far as the other changes, the pull request was a bit vague on where
the breakage was introduced. If it was in the 3.3 merge window then
it's generally suitable for the -rc fixes branch. But I also see that
the original commit date on the 'ARM: at91: add accessor to manage
SMC' patch was back in November and it was posted originally in early
December.

Overall it almost looks like these patches are left over pieces from
the merge window, and not really bug fixes as such -- they just finish
off implementing features that were merged earlier. That's not what
the kernel -rc cycle is for -- it is there to deal with regressions,
not to merge the last pieces of features.


Anyway, given that the features going in broke some boards (at least
that's what it looks like to me), there's reason to pick them up. But
next time around, please avoid merging broken features when you know
there's fixes needed (some accidental regressions are inevitable of
course, of course, etc).


Thanks,

-Olof