@@ -702,12 +702,16 @@ static inline int mmu_notifier_retry(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu, unsigned long mmu_se
- * Both reads happen under the mmu_lock and both values are
- * modified under mmu_lock, so there's no need of smb_rmb()
- * here in between, otherwise mmu_notifier_count should be
- * read before mmu_notifier_seq, see
- * mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_end write side.
+ * Ensure the read of mmu_notifier_count happens before the read
+ * of mmu_notifier_seq. This interacts with the smp_wmb() in
+ * mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_end to make sure that the caller
+ * either sees the old (non-zero) value of mmu_notifier_count or
+ * the new (incremented) value of mmu_notifier_seq.
+ * PowerPC Book3s HV KVM calls this under a per-page lock
+ * rather than under kvm->mmu_lock, for scalability, so
+ * can't rely on kvm->mmu_lock to keep things ordered.
if (vcpu->kvm->mmu_notifier_seq != mmu_seq)
@@ -357,11 +357,11 @@ static void kvm_mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_end(struct mmu_notifier *mn,
* been freed.
* The above sequence increase must be visible before the
- * below count decrease but both values are read by the kvm
- * page fault under mmu_lock spinlock so we don't need to add
- * a smb_wmb() here in between the two.
+ * below count decrease, which is ensured by the smp_wmb above
+ * in conjunction with the smp_rmb in mmu_notifier_retry().