Patchwork [PULL] non-migratable devices

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Gerd Hoffmann
Date July 20, 2011, 10:09 a.m.
Message ID <1311156579-9814-1-git-send-email-kraxel@redhat.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/105666/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.kraxel.org/qemu migration.1

Comments

Gerd Hoffmann - July 20, 2011, 10:09 a.m.
Hi,

This patch series adds an easy way to tag devices as non-migratable
and puts it into use for ahci, ehci and a number of usb devices.

cheers,
  Gerd

The following changes since commit 03ff09580ef6cbc4a893b6e3e6bbff33180ec70a:

  Merge remote-tracking branch 'agraf/xen-next' into staging (2011-07-19 08:04:35 -0500)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kraxel.org/qemu migration.1

Gerd Hoffmann (9):
      vmstate: add no_migrate flag to VMStateDescription
      vmstate: complain about devices without vmstate
      ahci doesn't support migration
      ehci doesn't support migration
      usb storage: first migration support bits.
      usb-wacom doesn't support migration
      usb-bt doesn't support migration
      usb-net doesn't support migration
      usb-serial doesn't support migration

 hw/hw.h         |    3 +++
 hw/ide/ich.c    |    6 ++++++
 hw/qdev.c       |    7 ++++++-
 hw/usb-bt.c     |    6 ++++++
 hw/usb-ehci.c   |    7 +++++++
 hw/usb-msd.c    |   12 ++++++++++++
 hw/usb-net.c    |    6 ++++++
 hw/usb-serial.c |    7 +++++++
 hw/usb-wacom.c  |    6 ++++++
 savevm.c        |    1 +
 10 files changed, 60 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
Anthony Liguori - July 22, 2011, 2:21 p.m.
On 07/20/2011 05:09 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>    Hi,
>
> This patch series adds an easy way to tag devices as non-migratable
> and puts it into use for ahci, ehci and a number of usb devices.
>
> cheers,
>    Gerd
>
> The following changes since commit 03ff09580ef6cbc4a893b6e3e6bbff33180ec70a:
>
>    Merge remote-tracking branch 'agraf/xen-next' into staging (2011-07-19 08:04:35 -0500)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>    git://git.kraxel.org/qemu migration.1
>
> Gerd Hoffmann (9):
>        vmstate: add no_migrate flag to VMStateDescription
>        vmstate: complain about devices without vmstate

I appreciate the sentiment of this patch but this cannot go into 0.15. 
Lots of tools parse the output of QEMU and introducing something like 
this is going to create problems for those tools.

I'm not really sure this is totally appropriate for the development 
branch either.  I think something like a migration tainted flag that 
showed in info migrate would be much more appropriate.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

>        ahci doesn't support migration
>        ehci doesn't support migration
>        usb storage: first migration support bits.
>        usb-wacom doesn't support migration
>        usb-bt doesn't support migration
>        usb-net doesn't support migration
>        usb-serial doesn't support migration
>
>   hw/hw.h         |    3 +++
>   hw/ide/ich.c    |    6 ++++++
>   hw/qdev.c       |    7 ++++++-
>   hw/usb-bt.c     |    6 ++++++
>   hw/usb-ehci.c   |    7 +++++++
>   hw/usb-msd.c    |   12 ++++++++++++
>   hw/usb-net.c    |    6 ++++++
>   hw/usb-serial.c |    7 +++++++
>   hw/usb-wacom.c  |    6 ++++++
>   savevm.c        |    1 +
>   10 files changed, 60 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>
>
Gerd Hoffmann - July 22, 2011, 2:32 p.m.
Hi,

>> vmstate: complain about devices without vmstate
>
> I appreciate the sentiment of this patch but this cannot go into 0.15.

Peter Maydell noted that too, thats why there already is a migration.2 
branch with this patch dropped which you can pull instead.

> I'm not really sure this is totally appropriate for the development
> branch either. I think something like a migration tainted flag that
> showed in info migrate would be much more appropriate.

We can discuss that after 0.15 is out of the door.  I'm certainly open 
to suggestions how to handle that in a better way.

cheers,
   Gerd
Anthony Liguori - July 29, 2011, 3:46 p.m.
On 07/20/2011 05:09 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>    Hi,
>
> This patch series adds an easy way to tag devices as non-migratable
> and puts it into use for ahci, ehci and a number of usb devices.

Pulled.  Thanks.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

>
> cheers,
>    Gerd
>
> The following changes since commit 03ff09580ef6cbc4a893b6e3e6bbff33180ec70a:
>
>    Merge remote-tracking branch 'agraf/xen-next' into staging (2011-07-19 08:04:35 -0500)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>    git://git.kraxel.org/qemu migration.1
>
> Gerd Hoffmann (9):
>        vmstate: add no_migrate flag to VMStateDescription
>        vmstate: complain about devices without vmstate
>        ahci doesn't support migration
>        ehci doesn't support migration
>        usb storage: first migration support bits.
>        usb-wacom doesn't support migration
>        usb-bt doesn't support migration
>        usb-net doesn't support migration
>        usb-serial doesn't support migration
>
>   hw/hw.h         |    3 +++
>   hw/ide/ich.c    |    6 ++++++
>   hw/qdev.c       |    7 ++++++-
>   hw/usb-bt.c     |    6 ++++++
>   hw/usb-ehci.c   |    7 +++++++
>   hw/usb-msd.c    |   12 ++++++++++++
>   hw/usb-net.c    |    6 ++++++
>   hw/usb-serial.c |    7 +++++++
>   hw/usb-wacom.c  |    6 ++++++
>   savevm.c        |    1 +
>   10 files changed, 60 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>
>